PDA

View Full Version : How long for DPS to return tenant's deposit?

missb
05-02-2008, 15:35 PM
Hi,

I've read the website and tried to call but it's all automated so thought I would come here for advice.

I have just processed a return of deposit for my tenant and I did not need to retain anything. I would have thought the process would tell me at the end how long before my tenant would expect to wait to receive the refund but it gave no indication. All it said was they would contact the tenant to see if they agreed with my refund, of course they would as I gave a full refund.

Not the best process or communication from this site, anyone have any time frame experience from them?

Thanks
Belinda

mrraybarton
06-02-2008, 16:48 PM
I am still waiting for a refund to me (landlord ) of part of deposit after 4 months.I am told by tenant that he has written to them agreeing with my calculation 2 months ago.I arranged it through letting agent. I have never been contacted by D.P.S. So dont expect early action and phoning is a waste of time.

csw
06-02-2008, 17:20 PM
Try calling them, press option 2 and then option 5 and with luck you will talk to a human being, although you may have to wait, which is galling with an 0870 number.

I have posted here about the dps before. Highly unsatisfactory service. With future tenants I shall probably use the TDS.

Sportingdad
08-02-2008, 06:01 AM
As i've said in the past, DPS make there money by using the deposits on the money markets (struggeling at the moment) and the longer they hang on to it the more money they can make, imagine 3 extra weeks holding a deposit on a six month tenancy and there profits are up 10%. I have heard numorous stories about lost paperwork etc. and Tenants struggerling months later and blaming the Landlord...has the Goverment done wrong or is it chance for another quango ? only time will tell....

pcwilkins
08-02-2008, 08:08 AM
has the Goverment done wrong or is it chance for another quango ? only time will tell....

Well, let's not be hasty. I think we should have a few inquiries first. But first of all we need to form a committee to discuss who should decide which government stooges should be on the panel that decides who carries out the inquiry.

Peter

jeffrey
08-02-2008, 09:06 AM
Well, let's not be hasty. I think we should have a few inquiries first. But first of all we need to form a committee to discuss who should decide which government stooges should be on the panel that decides who carries out the inquiry.

Peter
Yes, Minister.

Esio Trot
08-02-2008, 12:13 PM

Ahh, but even to do this is not to embrace the full range of options available and restricts the government to the premise that a committee is, or maybe, necessary.

Before even agreeing that a committee is the way to go, it must be a forgone conclusion that a full review should be made of what options are available, and so there is no room for doubt it should be stated explicitly that nothing is ruled out and nothing is ruled in. This means that such diverse possibilities such as a public enquiry to a dedicated czar are considered with equal merit.

On publication of the report, which should be in the public domain, it is also expected that the conclusions will draw comment from both stakeholders in the outcome, other interested parties, as well the community at large. Only after allowing for the fullest period of open comment can a full, substantial, and knowledgeable consideration of the way forward be made.

Sportingdad
08-02-2008, 12:22 PM
Ahh, but even to do this is not to embrace the full range of options available and restricts the government to the premise that a committee is, or maybe, necessary.

Before even agreeing that a committee is the way to go, it must be a forgone conclusion that a full review should be made of what options are available, and so there is no room for doubt it should be stated explicitly that nothing is ruled out and nothing is ruled in. This means that such diverse possibilities such as a public enquiry to a dedicated czar are considered with equal merit.

On publication of the report, which should be in the public domain, it is also expected that the conclusions will draw comment from both stakeholders in the outcome, other interested parties, as well the community at large. Only after allowing for the fullest period of open comment can a full, substantial, and knowledgeable consideration of the way forward be made.

here, here at least someone can put a finger on the way forward

pcwilkins
08-02-2008, 12:43 PM
here, here at least someone can put a finger on the way forward

Why is it assumed that "forward" is always the best way to go? And even if it is, can we be sure that "a finger" is the best thing to put on it?

You're all rushing into going forward when in fact it might well be the case that backward, or sideways, or to-the-left-but-slightly-upwards, might be the best way.

Peter

bagpuss
10-02-2008, 19:58 PM
Perhaps a circular motion might be even better.

Colincbayley
11-02-2008, 07:44 AM
Try calling them, press option 2 and then option 5 and with luck you will talk to a human being, although you may have to wait, which is galling with an 0870 number.

I have posted here about the dps before. Highly unsatisfactory service. With future tenants I shall probably use the TDS.

I don't know what the 0870 number is, however if you go onto www.saynoto0870.com type in the 0870 number then it will give you the normal landline number so you can avoid the high cost of the call.