PDA

View Full Version : landlord responsibility queries.

paulw
05-02-2008, 13:34 PM
hi, ive posted a few queries in the past during my brief time as a landlord but i am now renting a property and have a couple of questions please.

i have just started a 6month lease through a private landlord for a brand new house. as far i am aware, the landlord hadnt even seen the property before we met on the day to sign the lease so he hadnt paid much attention to finishings etc. i had a couple of issues which he agreed to resolve such as blinds for the windows, turf for the garden and floor coverings.

that was last week but i have now discovered a couple of other things which i would appreciate your thoughts on before i raise them with the landlord.

1. tv aerial. there are 2 sockets, and from the builder i understand the aerial cable is wired into the loft but is not attached to an aerial. would it be reasonable to expect the landlord to provide a tv aerial?

3. bt phoneline. again, the sockets are there, and i understand the cable is laid, but is not connected and i have been told there is a £125 connection charge from BT (this is for a 2 minute job). would it be normal for the tennant or the landlord to pay this?

cheers

paul

Tori Bellatrix
05-02-2008, 13:44 PM
3. bt phoneline. again, the sockets are there, and i understand the cable is laid, but is not connected and i have been told there is a £125 connection charge from BT (this is for a 2 minute job). would it be normal for the tennant or the landlord to pay this?

cheers

paul

As a tenant myself, I have always paid the BT connection fee where required .. Infact I'm having to shell out again as I'm moving into a new build flat this weekend and a new line needs connecting .. Seems fair enough to me that the tenant should pay (Although I do think that BT charge such a large sum for a small job!)

pcwilkins
05-02-2008, 15:57 PM
1. tv aerial. there are 2 sockets, and from the builder i understand the aerial cable is wired into the loft but is not attached to an aerial. would it be reasonable to expect the landlord to provide a tv aerial?

Yes.

Try negotiating with LL, but if he says no it's up to you. A lot of people don't use landlines these days, so LL might not think it's worth the investment.

Peter

paulw
07-02-2008, 12:44 PM
thanks for replies.

i really dont want a landline telephone to be honest, but i understand that i need one to get skydigital/broadband with sky. ive always had virginmedia via cable so this is new to me.

paul

jeffrey
07-02-2008, 12:52 PM
There is no legal obligation for L to provide telephone landline, TV aeriel, or any other similarly non-essential facilities. L might agree with T to instal them, contractually, but they are not mandatory under either s.11 of LTA 1985 or otherwise.

Goldieboy
07-02-2008, 12:52 PM
I don't believe it is the Landlord responsibility to provide an aerial - not according to the AST's I've read anyway. If there is one there already and it fails for any reason, then it is their responsibility.

heather5
07-02-2008, 18:59 PM
As a 25-year tenant - I've always paid connection fees - it's never been offered as LL responsibility.

Pain is - having to be in when they arrange to connect - and then don't turn-up!

Ericthelobster
07-02-2008, 19:19 PM
I don't believe it is the Landlord responsibility to provide an aerial - not according to the AST's I've read anyway. If there is one there already and it fails for any reason, then it is their responsibility.But if there's an aerial socket on the wall, then unless specifically advised to the contrary, it would be pretty reasonable for an incoming tenant to assume that it would be connected to an aerial!

jeffrey
07-02-2008, 22:54 PM
Never assume anything. Ask for written confirmation/warranty, if it's sufficiently important.

Surrey
07-02-2008, 23:59 PM
Should the thread title be "landlord IRresponsibility queries"?

pcwilkins
08-02-2008, 09:18 AM
There is no legal obligation for L to provide...TV aeriel

Are you feeling well, Jeffrey? There is a spelling mistake in your post! :eek:

Is this a first?

Peter

jeffrey
08-02-2008, 10:05 AM
Are you feeling well, Jeffrey? There is a spelling mistake in your post! :eek:

Is this a first?

Peter
Sorry- I'm excellent at spelling but rubbish at typing!
Or was it a biological soap powder's contamination of my linguistic ability?
[aerial/aeriel- geddit?]

Tori Bellatrix
08-02-2008, 10:23 AM
As a 25-year tenant - I've always paid connection fees - it's never been offered as LL responsibility.

Pain is - having to be in when they arrange to connect - and then don't turn-up!

Have to admit I've never had this problem with BT ... Always turned up promptly and worked quickly, as they did yesterday .. guess I've been lucky .. :)