PDA

View Full Version : Copy of Tenancy Agreement Query - Agents

Tori Bellatrix
04-02-2008, 20:04 PM
Hi All

I've recently signed a new tenancy agreement for my new flat and for this rental I've gone through an agency (usually I rent privately).

On signing the AST the agent informed me that I would get a copy of the agreement in the post. However, for one reason and another, I now would like the original agreement (and previously I've always had an original as me and previous LL sign a copy each).

Anyhow, the agent wasn''t very helpful and said he'd never had any problems before, to which I said ' Well, I've always been given my own original agreement before so I've never had this problem either!). The agent said they 'had' to have the original incase it was needed further down the line so I suggested a duplicate signed agreement to which they didn't particularly like.

Bearing in mind the agents aren't going to be managing the property, I don't see why they can't have a photocopy or make up a duplicate.

Am I being unreasonable? And am I entitled to a signed original copy?

jeffrey
05-02-2008, 08:45 AM
How do they expect you to comply with Agreement's provisions if you don't have a record of these? Tell the Agents so.

Really, every lease or letting should be in two identical prints:
1. L executes one and hands it to T. This is the 'top copy', i.e. the original itself.
2. T executes another and hands it to L (usually before step 1). This is the Counterpart.

Tori Bellatrix
05-02-2008, 09:19 AM
How do they expect you to comply with Agreement's provisions if you don't have a record of these? Tell the Agents so.

Really, every lease or letting should be in two identical prints:
1. L executes one and hands it to T. This is the 'top copy', i.e. the original itself.
2. T executes another and hands it to L (usually before step 1). This is the Counterpart.

Thanks, the agents had said previously they would send me a photocopy but for some of my financial affairs, I need an original copy and the agents don't seem willing to provide this .. :o

jeffrey
05-02-2008, 09:32 AM
Thanks, the agents had said previously they would send me a photocopy but for some of my financial affairs, I need an original copy and the agents don't seem willing to provide this .. :o
So did you ever sign a Counterpart (or only the original) and did L ever sign the original?

Tori Bellatrix
05-02-2008, 09:54 AM
So did you ever sign a Counterpart (or only the original) and did L ever sign the original?

The agents asked me to sign one original copy and that was it ... they then got the LL to sign it ... I don't yet have a photocopy, mind you I signed last week so perhaps that's a little impatient ..

jeffrey
05-02-2008, 10:01 AM
The agents...then got the LL to sign it
How do you know?

Tori Bellatrix
05-02-2008, 10:20 AM
How do you know?

Well, I have to say I'm assuming that the LL has signed it as I met him (the LL) last week and he gave me the keys ...

jeffrey
05-02-2008, 10:33 AM
Yes, but that's not particularly satisfactory for you. Without an AST that L (or agents) signed, you seem to have only an oral AST- and no precise statement of your obligations, whether re rent or re anything else!

Serve Notice under s.20A of 1988 Act. That'll wake them up; failure to respond within 28 days leaves L exposed to prosecution under s.20A(4).