PDA

View Full Version : Tenants missed first months rent

Madison
04-02-2008, 10:26 AM
My tenant has just missed his first months rent payment and I have discovered from his workplace that he has gone on holiday for a week.His phone is switched off so I have been leaving stern voicemails telling him that I am not happy but there is not a lot I can do until he comes back. So far he has been a pretty decent tenant so I don't want to come down too hard on him but people don't usually forget to pay their rent.The fact that he hasnt returned any of my messages is also worrying me because most people still take their phones on holiday.
Any advice on how to deal with this??

jeffrey
04-02-2008, 10:43 AM
My tenant has just missed his first months rent payment and I have discovered from his workplace that he has gone on holiday for a week.His phone is switched off so I have been leaving stern voicemails telling him that I am not happy but there is not a lot I can do until he comes back. So far he has been a pretty decent tenant so I don't want to come down too hard on him but people don't usually forget to pay their rent.The fact that he hasnt returned any of my messages is also worrying me because most people still take their phones on holiday.
Any advice on how to deal with this??
1. "So far he has been a pretty decent tenant"? Not very far, is it?
2. He might not have set up an intended standing order to your bank; he might be abroad, without mobile telephone roaming facility; etc.
3. On the other hand, you might be the victim of a professional scammer.

Esio Trot
04-02-2008, 11:03 AM
My tenant has just missed his first months rent payment ...

Bit puzzled by this.

It is normal practice for the first months rent to be paid before occupation. So, do you mean the second months rent?

I find that banks are particularly inept where the setting up of standing orders are concerned. It seems to me that they give this task to the newest and least experienced member of staff - at least that is the only explanation I can think of for the number of errors that occur.

If a standing order mandate was completed, it is likely that the bank has messed up.

If not, go over your paperwork carefully to check it is in order and and then be prepared for court action.

peterdo
04-02-2008, 16:57 PM
In order to ensure that the standing order was in place for the rent payment I decided to send a mandate with my details filled in and the remainder to be filled in by the tenant. I enclosed a stamped addressed envelope to myself and T sent it back, I took it to the bank and handed it in.

Therefore, unless the bank messed it up, the only way the rent wouldnt be paid is if the T had no cash to pay it, or they cancelled the standing order.

Just a thought

Pete

johnboy
04-02-2008, 17:28 PM
As soon as he is 1 month and 1 day in arrears SECTION 8 grounds 8,10,11 ASAP