PDA

View Full Version : Tenant may have done a runner!

Rudie
03-02-2008, 00:07 AM
Hi everyone. Hope you can help please.

Tenant was in rent arrears, so i called her, but she never answered my calls. I sent a letter to the tenant for demand of payment stating that further action would be taken if she did not respond within 14 days (now past that period). Now her mobile is switched off, i have passed the house a few times this week (during the day and evening) and it appears that there's no-one there.

Have knocked on the door and no answer. I looked through the letter box and there's a pile of mail. The curtains are drawn, which is unusual for her and she usually keeps the front door ajar during the days. There's also a bag of rubbish in the front yard which has been there in the same place since i started chasing for rent arrears (it's not really a yard, as it's a terraced property).

Do i have the right now to just enter the house with the spare keys? Or do i have to write to her again with notice that i intend to enter the property?

Thanks in advance! :D

Beeber
03-02-2008, 09:03 AM
http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/legal/abandonment.htm

Bel
03-02-2008, 11:01 AM
Do i have the right now to just enter the house with the spare keys? Or do i have to write to her again with notice that i intend to enter the property?

After carefully reading beebers link, I would post a note through the door giving 24hours notice of inspection and enter carefully day after.