PDA

View Full Version : Discounts for no water/heating

mcvelia
02-02-2008, 16:09 PM
Hi,

I have just signed up new tenants and the boiler has packed up, no water or heating. I have bought brand new oil heaters to keep them going and we are on the case for a plumber but explained it could be a couple of weeks before the work get carried out due to availability of plumbers.

Is their a going rate for discounting their rent in such circumstances - they are still living there but they have relatives in the same road where they can shower every day.

Cheers
Jo

Ericthelobster
02-02-2008, 17:06 PM
I have just signed up new tenants and the boiler has packed up, no water or heating. I have bought brand new oil heaters to keep them going and we are on the case for a plumber but explained it could be a couple of weeks before the work get carried out due to availability of plumbers.

Is their a going rate for discounting their rent in such circumstances - they are still living there but they have relatives in the same road where they can shower every day.I think 2 weeks without hot water is pretty unreasonable actually - so it had better be a fairly hefty discount.

Bear in mind that it's not actually about availability of plumbers - it's about how much you're prepared to pay for an emergency plumber. I'm afraid "being on the case for a plumber" really doesn't cut it under these circumstances.

mcvelia
02-02-2008, 18:06 PM
The boiler has to be replaced so its not just a case of phoning a 24 hr plumber to fix a leaky tap. When they signed the contract on Thursday i gave them the opportunity that they could find another flat or wait the mentioned time, they chose the latter.

Bel
02-02-2008, 19:54 PM
2 weeks is a long time, but you have done more than many would by offering them a get-out and supplying heaters, so well done on that score.

You could ask them what they would be happy with, and then either pay that or negotiate and have a well reasoned argument why you dont agree.

heather5
02-02-2008, 20:50 PM
My tenancy last year I was without water - and heating for at least 4 weeks during March - I thought I'd moved into a nice 1 bed house - moved myself out of a studio flat - and then discovered on moving in that I couldn't have a bath more than two inches as the water went cold!! Complained to the letting agent - and it was until it all packed up that the LL did something about it - he replaced the boilder in June having reported it in January. LL also wanted me out so he cld sell - so tried all sorts of stuff - but I was a member of a gym up the road - and they had lovely hot showers and provided soft-cuddly towels.

I didn't seek compensation - although I should of - because my Dad had died around that time - and I just didn't need the hassle as I was often visiting mym Mum at weekends.

However, I think it would be right for you to give them compensation - of the period of time that they are without facilities.

When you move as a tenant - you may only be in the property a short space of time - not out of your chosing as so many are selling-up these days - and that costs when you move in time and money - so compensation to your tenants is a right way to go forward - perhaps you shld suggest a figure that you can afford and take it from there.

Finding yourself renting a place you'd hoped would be home without hassles and then having major hassles is a real downer - and sometimes causes tenants to become more militant than they otherwise would - it brings out the worst in even the most understanding.

Despite my circumstances - a plumber was found within 48 hours - and he recommended replacement of the whole system but did emergency measures to keep it going for a few more months - never mind it was more months after that my LL took it seriously.

Good for you - and good luck that it's resolved quickly and amicably.