PDA

View Full Version : Tenant with mould

Gordon890
01-02-2008, 13:47 PM
Hello,

I hope someone can help me with this. My tenant has just called to say that he has black mould in the bedroom of his house. He moved in a few months ago. A few years ago another tenant had this problem but we cleaned all the mould off and advised him of ventilation/heating etc and it didn't reappear for him or the next tenant who kept the place well.

I have arranged to see this tenant, but he also mentioned along with some coughing and spluttering that he had noticed he and his wife had been feeling ill for a while - I am now panicking that he is going to be able to sue me for ill health or something caused by this mould. Is this something that could happen?

thank you

pcwilkins
01-02-2008, 14:06 PM
Tenant with mould

An unpleasant mental image.

My tenant has just called to say that he has black mould in the bedroom of his house.

Oh, the mould is on the walls of the house, not on the tenant.

I am now panicking that he is going to be able to sue me for ill health or something caused by this mould. Is this something that could happen?

Your only obligation, as far as I am aware, is to make the property fit for habitation. If there is an underlying problem that is causing the mould, it might be worth getting it fixed. If its the tenant's fault for not keeping the place ventilated, you can't be held responsible, though you might like to consider fitting vents of some description if the property doesn't have them already.

I don't think you need to worry about being sued just yet.

Peter

johnboy
01-02-2008, 16:27 PM
We normally go down this route in this order

1 Send out infomation sheet on what causes mould and condensation and advice about keeping a balance of heating and ventelation.

2 Get mould treated (remember it gets behind stirting board and into carpet) repaint walls. You may have to use a sealer because the mould stain gets into the plaster and comes back through.

3 Get air brick fitted in the mouldy area (I get one fitted for about £25) it only needs to go into the cavity not right through.

4 If its the bathroom area get a extractor fan fitted that goes on and off with the light switch

5 Get extra/better heating fitted

6 change tenants. Sometimes it is their fault, drying clothes on rads, not venting tumble dryer etc etc.

But there also may be a fault with the building dont rule that out

Dehumidifiers are good as well you could supply one. But a good chance the tenant will complain about extra eletricity cost.

Beeber
01-02-2008, 17:49 PM
http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/pdf/Mould.pdf

Ericthelobster
01-02-2008, 18:04 PM
Get mould treated (remember it gets behind stirting board and into carpet) repaint walls. You may have to use a sealer because the mould stain gets into the plaster and comes back through.

Assuming we're talking mildew rather than huge solid growths of fungus, clean it with this stuff: it's fantastic and quite likely will remove the need for repainting as well:
http://www.tesco.com/superstore/xpi/2/xpi51883852.htm

If its the bathroom area get a extractor fan fitted that goes on and off with the light switchFar better to get one fitted with a humidistat, which keeps extracting as long as the air is damp. I fitted one of these to a condensation-prone property of mine, and I encourage the tenants to leave the bathroom door open when the room's not in use, so it's able to keep the humidity down over the whole of the upstairs. Seems to work very well.

johnboy
02-02-2008, 08:14 AM
Far better to get one fitted with a humidistat, which keeps extracting as long as the air is damp. I fitted one of these to a condensation-prone property of mine, and I encourage the tenants to leave the bathroom door open when the room's not in use, so it's able to keep the humidity down over the whole of the upstairs. Seems to work very well.

Never heard of one of those I must try it next time

Thanks

fallenlord
02-02-2008, 08:21 AM
Hello,

I hope someone can help me with this. My tenant has just called to say that he has black mould in the bedroom of his house. He moved in a few months ago. A few years ago another tenant had this problem but we cleaned all the mould off and advised him of ventilation/heating etc and it didn't reappear for him or the next tenant who kept the place well.

I have arranged to see this tenant, but he also mentioned along with some coughing and spluttering that he had noticed he and his wife had been feeling ill for a while - I am now panicking that he is going to be able to sue me for ill health or something caused by this mould. Is this something that could happen?

thank you

this is a good leaflet to give to tenants:

http://www.teesvalley.org/maintenancecondensation.php

Ericthelobster
02-02-2008, 08:40 AM
Never heard of one of those I must try it next time

Here's mine:
http://www.screwfix.com/prods/15722/Heating-Cooling/Extractor-Fans/Manrose-Humidistat-Bathroom-Extractor-Fan-4

Gordon890
02-02-2008, 12:15 PM
Thanks for all your suggestions so far. I am visiting the tenant today and intend to provide the information sheet to him and hopefully we can sort out the problem. Just still worried he will bring up the subject of it having affected his health and is holding me responsible, so we'll see...

thanks

red40
02-02-2008, 12:38 PM
Just still worried he will bring up the subject of it having affected his health and is holding me responsible, so we'll see...

Thats an easy one to get around Gordon, just say "lets get the problem sorted first and then we can talk about the health issue."

Once your damp is sorted, it can be referred to your legal rep, if the tenant wants to persue it further for compensation, not that he will though.

bagpuss
02-02-2008, 22:15 PM
We have exactly the same problem with two of our houses. In each case previous tenants had no problems because they opened windows and doors to allow ventilation, didn't dry large quantities of clothes over radiators in the house, plus they heated the houses up more during the winter.

We've given the present tenants in both these houses dehumidifiers (obtained from Aldi's and the power consumption is the same as keeping on one light bulb) plus we've cleaned the affected areas using mould/mildew killer and then redecorated using anti-condensation paint overcoated with bathroom type anti damp paint. Plus we're trying to re-educate the tenants in how to keep condensation problems at bay, but it's a bit of an uphill climb with some people.

So far we've found:

a) small house + family of 4 (with small children so they won't open windows because it's too cold and can't put the heating on for longer because it's too expensive) = lots of washing, cooking & showering creating water vapour leading to condensation leading to black mould

b) bedroom + student (who dries clothes in room and never opens the window because it's too cold, but won't put the heating on except when they are actually in the room) = lots of water vapour leading to condensation leading to black mould.

You can explain the causes of condensation and how to cure it until the cows come home but some tenants just don't want to believe that it's their fault and are unwilling to do ask you ask re ventilation, heating, drying etc

When we get the chance we are going to fit extractors with a humidistat which they don't have to turn on and can't turn off- I think it's the only way to bypass the tenant's lifestyle and so cure the problem.

Oh, the joys of being a landlord!:rolleyes:

johnboy
03-02-2008, 08:18 AM
The other option is to change the tenants. But they may be the same