PDA

View Full Version : Proposed tenant has no National Insurance number

Loulou
31-01-2008, 04:45 AM
Hi

Have finally found 5 seemingly lovely tenants for my house.They are from Poland and have been here for about 1.5 years.
I have checked all of their work references and everything is fine,I have copies of all their passports & driving licences etc.I decided to use tenant verify for the credit checks just to make sure they don't owe money all over the place but as I was putting in all the information I noticed one of the 5 doesn't have a National Insurance number.
Obviously I can't check him through tenant verify but will the lack of a NI number bring me any other problems ?
I haven't come across this before and would be grateful for any advice.

justaboutsane
31-01-2008, 05:49 AM
As I understand it he needs an NI number to work... so it could be a little dodgy that he does not have one. Dig a little deeper.

pete's properties
31-01-2008, 08:17 AM
My understanding of it is the same: no NI number and you cannot work legally.

Loulou
31-01-2008, 08:50 AM
Yes I have been checking this out and the 4 that have normal employment all have NI numbers whereas this one is a self employed carpenter.He has been working for large company and they seem pleased with his work and gave him a great reference but he is obviously not paying any tax !

pete's properties
02-02-2008, 07:32 AM
Self employed still need a NI number to be legally self employed! Might be a good carpenter though: useful for fixing your house, just illegal!

:)

smeegal
04-02-2008, 19:31 PM
Anyone from EU can work and do not need NI number initially although they do end up with one.
They have to attend Jobcentre interview with relevant ID but it can take from 4 weeks to several months. They are still entitled to work in the meantime.

See following websites:

liverpool university: http://www.liv.ac.uk/careers/students/jobs/HowtoGetaPermanentNINo.pdf

http://www.advicenow.org.uk/go/feature/feature_533.html?pkgid=62