PDA

View Full Version : Tenants staying in for repairs

Beeber
28-01-2008, 17:46 PM
All,

Quick query on how you manage maintenance requests from tenants that don't wish to wait in for workmen and the legal position on this.

It makes sense for the landlord or agent to be present when repairs take place to check the quality.

I would appreciate how you deal with tenants that report problems but won't facilitate their repair by being present when a workmen is booked.

My tenants are reluctant to be present for workmen, (even for inspections, gas-checks and to provide quotes rather than actual repair work) though they work shifts and are off during parts of the week. I can't seem to convince them that most workmen don't work weekends and evenings.

There is restricted parking in the street and the majority of workmen routinely refuse to accept appointments unless they are given a visitors parking permit. Despite informing the tenants of this, offering to refund the cost and reminding them that I can't buy them directly with the council as they only issue them to residents, they are reluctant to pop up the road with proof of ID to get them, thus making 90% of local engineers disinterested in coming out.

All advice appreciated.

johnboy
28-01-2008, 18:06 PM
You could ask the tenant if its ok to give spare key to the tradesman.

I know one landlord who tells the tenant he is giving the spare key to the tradesman if they are differcault and that normally makes the tenant be more availivble. (yes i know he shouldnt)

heather5
28-01-2008, 20:11 PM
Tenant perspective.

It's your property.

But I have lost track of the number of days off I've had to have to be in when the workmen arrive!!!

The washing machine broke down 5 times (in the end I gave up using it because each time the guy letting it to the owner said there was no problem - and I was the problem). After 3rd time I gave up being there - and so did the LL - who gave over the keys without permission.

No phone connection although it was stated there was (but it hadn't been used so long it had to be reconnected at my expense and time). The heating broke down - after 4 weeks - I had to be present because the LL couldn't be - 4 days leave because they couldn't give morning or afternoon.

The LL wanted to change the meter from card to normal meter but I was the beneficiary so LL insisted I was present - first time they failed to turn-up (1 days leave wasted) and the second day they didn't turn up until 7pm!! Having waited in all day.

Over the last few years I've given up so much of my time to LLs and their property problems I now refuse to do so - perhaps your tenants are now the same - we're weary of this stuff and fed-up of giving up our leave for your premises.

You assume that because they are shift workers they should be there when you need them to be - but they are your tenants - not minders of your property.

I do shift work being in IT - and it varies - I cannot guarantee that one weeks is the same as next - sometimes I'm in at 5am - sometimes I don't get home until 11pm. Sometimes I don't get home at all - so why do you assume that your "shift" working tenants are there when your workmen demand?

I think you are being very unfair - and I totally understand your tenants expecting that you fit in with their rights of "quiet enjoyment" rather than your insistence that they fit in with your workmen.

As a LL you are responible for getting the work done, true - but at a convenient time to your client - oh, tenant.

I have little sympathy for you - but I would be more amiable to you if you offered me compensation for the inconvenience you are expecting me to put up with when it is your property that is at fault.

Planner
28-01-2008, 21:19 PM
Tenant perspective.

It's your property.

But I have lost track of the number of days off I've had to have to be in when the workmen arrive!!!

The washing machine broke down 5 times (in the end I gave up using it because each time the guy letting it to the owner said there was no problem - and I was the problem). After 3rd time I gave up being there - and so did the LL - who gave over the keys without permission.

No phone connection although it was stated there was (but it hadn't been used so long it had to be reconnected at my expense and time). The heating broke down - after 4 weeks - I had to be present because the LL couldn't be - 4 days leave because they couldn't give morning or afternoon.

The LL wanted to change the meter from card to normal meter but I was the beneficiary so LL insisted I was present - first time they failed to turn-up (1 days leave wasted) and the second day they didn't turn up until 7pm!! Having waited in all day.

Over the last few years I've given up so much of my time to LLs and their property problems I now refuse to do so - perhaps your tenants are now the same - we're weary of this stuff and fed-up of giving up our leave for your premises.

You assume that because they are shift workers they should be there when you need them to be - but they are your tenants - not minders of your property.

I do shift work being in IT - and it varies - I cannot guarantee that one weeks is the same as next - sometimes I'm in at 5am - sometimes I don't get home until 11pm. Sometimes I don't get home at all - so why do you assume that your "shift" working tenants are there when your workmen demand?

I think you are being very unfair - and I totally understand your tenants expecting that you fit in with their rights of "quiet enjoyment" rather than your insistence that they fit in with your workmen.

As a LL you are responible for getting the work done, true - but at a convenient time to your client - oh, tenant.

I have little sympathy for you - but I would be more amiable to you if you offered me compensation for the inconvenience you are expecting me to put up with when it is your property that is at fault.

I tend to agree, its one of the "perks" of renting, which at the end of the day is a "business transaction" tenant is paying LL/Agents for provision of a service. You wouldnt go for a chippy tea, hand your money over and then be told you have to make it yourself would you?

The only suitable approach I can see is to give the tenant arange of dates and times and ask if any are suitable, if no can a friend or family member be there, if not can the LL give the workman a key, if not then pop it all in a letter to he tenants and ask them how they would like to proceede.

Bel
29-01-2008, 12:08 PM
If the tenant isn't happy for a workman to have a key, then they have to be there. There's no other way. This is for essentials only: eg gas safety,

For non-essentials, it is reasonable for the tenant to refuse access if it interferes with quiet enjoyment.

bagpuss
29-01-2008, 15:00 PM
Tenant perspective.

It's your property.

From the LL side, I think it's a bit much to ask a LL to arrange repairs and then be totally unreasonable about giving the workmen access. If it was something the landord himself decided needing doing, with no reference to the tenant, then I think you'd have a point. As the poster described it was the tenant who was asking for this repair.

It's a bit like going to the doctor and then refusing to take the treatment he offers and then complaining that you are still ill. You make it sound like the tenant is doing the landlord a favour when they are requesting that the work be done in the first place.

Our properties are within an hour of where we live and we offer to be at the property to supervise workmen if it's inconvenient for the tenants to be there themselves. So far no one has taken us up on our offer and have arranged to be there themselves.

If it was your own property you'd expect to have to stay in for workmen wouldn't you?

Beeber
29-01-2008, 18:10 PM
In my particular case, virtually all visits by workmen to date for work, quotes, inspections, have been supervised by the agent who is currently sick.

It was suggested to the tenants that they could expedite the 2 separate repairs they'd recently reported (one they cited as urgent), if they could make themselves available until the agent has recovered, which they declined.

In addition, they accept that parking permits would also facilitate repairs since many local traders have an aversion to accepting bookings without them but believe that its very inconvenient for them to pop to the nearby local council office to pick them up.

Bel
29-01-2008, 18:29 PM
It really would be sensible to put something in the AST about what is expected in advance. Then any extra time wasted by the LL could be charged to the tenant.