PDA

View Full Version : How much notice required on AST agreements in 'student property'

flammingstar
26-01-2008, 04:54 AM
Please could anyone provide some information/advice; - im in a very difficult and traumatic situation & don't know what to do........I moved into my current accomodation 3 years ago when i started University to commence a Nursing degree; - the accomodation that i moved into is accomodation owned and managed by the NHS Trust where i had to do my 'work/clinical placements' on wards as part of my degree. The accomodation is provided for students at a lower rent and staff such as Doctors/physiotherapists etc who are working at the Trust on a short-term basis....If you are not either a student or working for the trust, you have no right to live at the accomodation.
I was given a 6 month Assured shorthold Tenancy agreement when i moved in 3 years ago but not been asked to sign anything to re-new the agreement since that time. (the original agreement has no details re notice periods etc)

I have unfortunately failed my nursing finals & and my course is now officially over (the NHS Bursary/Grant that i received during my training has also now ended)
As i am no longer a student and not working at the hospital either, i have no right to be here & i have been given notice (via a letter in my Pigeon hole today), the letter does not specify how long i have to leave or any details other than my tenancy has been terminated..... I have been unable to get hold of the Residency Manager or anyone at the Trust who can answer my questions.......
As I have not been able so-far to get a job, i have no money due to debts accrued whilst i was studying and no family other than elderly grandparents (aged 83/84) and in poor health, I have no-where to go, and i dont know what action to take, how long i have got before i have to leave, i am really stuck and very scared. Has anyone got any advice regarding where i stand PLEASE. Any help or advise would be apreciated. Thank you.

jeffrey
27-01-2008, 14:16 PM
Certain lettings are not capable of being ASTs, despite any purported tenancy document claiming to be one! See paragraph 8 in Schedule 1 to Housing Act 1988: "A tenancy...granted to a person who is pursuing...a course of study provided by a specified educational institution..."

This relates to case where the same (or another equally-specified) educational body is:
a. L of letting granted to T; and
b. providing T's course.

That might apply to you. If it doesn't, your tenancy could still be an AST and you would have the usual degree of protection (i.e. L could not evict you other than by using s.8 or s.21 of 1988 Act).

johngekko
29-01-2008, 12:10 PM
Try Shleter for free advice for people in your predicament.

http://www.shelter.org.uk/

johngekko
29-01-2008, 12:12 PM
Certain lettings are not capable of being ASTs, despite any purported tenancy document claiming to be one! See paragraph 8 in Schedule 1 to Housing Act 1988: "A tenancy...granted to a person who is pursuing...a course of study provided by a specified educational institution..."

This relates to case where the same (or another equally-specified) educational body is:
a. L of letting granted to T; and
b. providing T's course.

That might apply to you. If it doesn't, your tenancy could still be an AST and you would have the usual degree of protection (i.e. L could not evict you other than by using s.8 or s.21 of 1988 Act).

100% agree, ideally you need to know your rights. Again I sound like a parot but the Leasshold Advice Service have solicitors that offer free sound advice.

020 7374 5380