PDA

View Full Version : rent arrears - next step

stuco
25-01-2008, 22:27 PM
Hi,

I have a PO which also has on a judgement for arrears. The date of the PO has passed and the T left. How do I go about trying to get the rent arrears? Do we have to go back to court or can I instruct a debt collection agency straight away.

Thoughts, as ever, appreciated.

gary7
26-01-2008, 11:38 AM
A debt collector (court bailif) can be appointed once you have a court order against the tenant. Have you tried the small claims online court services? I have used them, doesnt cost much ... probably less than £250 including the bailif costs... and tihs can be added to the debt for the tenant to pay.

davidjohnbutton
26-01-2008, 13:14 PM
He already has a judgement for the money gary, so he does not need to obtain another court order.

Stuco, you have to pay further money now to enforce payment:-

1. Bailiffs to collect money or goods if you know where debtor lives.
2. Attachment of Earnings order if you know where debtor works
3. Charging order on new home if owned by debtor
4. Third party debt order to sieze funds in bank account assuming you know where debtor banks.
5. Order for questioning if you know where debtor lives to find out what assets and income debtor has.

Ask at the court office for the relevant leaflets, or have a look at them on the www.courtservice.gov.uk website.

Or, for a tenner, buy "Give me your money" - Anthony Reeves. ISBN 1-847160-09-3

Esio Trot
26-01-2008, 14:04 PM

Provided the debtor is home between 9.00 am and 5.00 pm, Monday to Friday. :mad:

Court Bailiffs are civil servants, are not on commission and work standard civil service hours. Collecting money or goods from businesses they work well, but for individuals they suck. If the debtor has assets it often means they work, and if they work they are unlikely to be in during the day.

I have a CCJ for £1,870 on a chap who works (self employed) - leaving his address at 8.00 am and he generally returning around 6.15 pm. He has a 2 year old Lexus - apparently owned outright according to a mutual acquaintance.

If I could appoint a private bailiff (which you can't for CCJ's), they would clamp his car early in the morning and I'm sure he would pay there and then.

I wish I could send round a couple of head bangers !!!

stuco
26-01-2008, 15:20 PM
He's currently being housed in a local hotel courtesy of the local council as far as I'm aware, but because of that I doubt if he has much in the way of goods with him.

2. Attachment of Earnings order if you know where debtor works

Not currently working.

4. Third party debt order to sieze funds in bank account assuming you know where debtor banks.

Is it possible to find out from my bank where the standing order was coming from (when he was paying it)? and if so do I just contact a third party to act. I'm worried that I may have to do something with the courts first.

5. Order for questioning if you know where debtor lives to find out what assets and income debtor has.

I assume I would do this with the court? thanks davidjohnbutton.

Court Bailiffs are civil servants, are not on commission and work standard civil service hours.

Does it have to be a court bailiff or can it be a private company?

I have a CCJ for £1,870 on a chap

This probably sounds naive but is that what I will have against the T. Not sure of all the legal specifics. Thanks esio trot.

I know in the end I am unlikely to recover much if any of the money but I am really reluctant to let him get away scott free:mad: