PDA

View Full Version : Damp and under-heated house; can I force L to rectify?

snowhoper
25-01-2008, 20:21 PM
I was wondering if anyone can help us we have 3 children, aged 11,8 and 2, We have been privately renting a 3 bedroom house for 18 months now and I think we have been extremely patient, partly because we moved from London to Norfolk the couple that we're renting the house from accepted us while we were on DSS and have been very laid back about what we do and don't do, they were extremely patient while we looked for jobs and I do feel extremly grateful to them both, they's not many that would of taken us on at the time.

The problems we have are as follows:

We have damp throughout and mould growing around practically every window, We have even been told by an engineer that the reason our dishwasher, washing machine, microwave and Iron all blew up in the space of a few weeks was because of the damp getting in to all of our appliances. Does the landlady have any responsibility for replacing any of these expensive items?

Although our boiler has recently been replaced it's still quite cold throughout the winter.

We have wrote everything down and verbally told our Landlady the problems we're encountering, we have not heard anything for 3 weeks and I called her last weekend to find out if there was any progress, all she said was she was waiting for someone to get back to her.

When we moved into the property it was undecorated and we agreed to decorate it, unfortunately we haven't been able to because all of the problems, I don't want to decorate now and then have to do it again in 6 months time (it seems pointless). We have decorated one room and we already have mould around the door and windows and the condensation which accumalates on the window and door is ruining the paint work.

They fitted a new front and back door last year and they have not been fitted properly and I am pretty sure that's where alot of the draught is coming in from.

I just need to know where I stand, I don't want to go in all guns blazing and ruin the friendly relationship we have with them, but I am at the end of my tether and can't take living like this for much longer.

Any advice or information would be truly appreciated!!!!

Beeber
26-01-2008, 11:03 AM
You will find the Shelter website an invaluable source of information on how to report and follow-up on repairs with private landlords.

The following thread, plus a search on the forum for keywords like mould, damp and condensation, will also assist, including info on how best to treat it. It contains a link to a PDF file with good info on the causes of this.

Be aware, though, that landlords are responsible if the problems originate through a defect but tenants are responsible if the origin is caused by lifestyle (under ventilating, under-heating, drying damp clothes in the house, etc).

http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=7049