PDA

View Full Version : rent arrears

daytona1
24-01-2008, 19:16 PM
My tenant is 2 months in arrears. I have had a section 8 issued, which expires on 28th Jan.

I spoke to the tenant today she is not going to move out and will not pay rent owing claiming that there are maintence problems with the house. This is not true. Infact I had the maintance company do an inspection in December and nothing was brougth to his attention by the tenant. Is there a clause that if she claims this she will not have to to the arrears?

any help greatfully recieved

johnboy
24-01-2008, 20:07 PM
Go to court get them out and put it down to experience

Surrey
24-01-2008, 21:51 PM
And pursue the tenant for the missing rent as well. But don't expect the process to be particularly quick. Read, read and read again through this site, make sure you're familiar with the requirements set out in the Civil Procedure Rules for how to succeed in a Section 8 claim, and best of luck!

Oh, I forgot. Don't just speak to the tenant, write to her with a reminder that if she does not bring her rent up to date by 28th January you will have no alternative but to start court proceedings, with no further notice. And then DO IT. Keeping written evidence of your communications with the tenant will stand you in good stead and will help you to win your case.

LauraB
25-01-2008, 15:15 PM
There is a a policy called Rent Guarantee which will cover you for non payment of rent and all legal costs incurred on evicting the tenant. If you call a company called HomeLet they will give you all the info on the policy. They even have a team of solicitors who carry out the eviction etc for you.

www.homelet.co.uk

0845 117 6000 :)

pete's properties
28-01-2008, 09:23 AM
There is a a policy called Rent Guarantee which will cover you for non payment of rent and all legal costs incurred on evicting the tenant. If you call a company called HomeLet they will give you all the info on the policy. They even have a team of solicitors who carry out the eviction etc for you.

www.homelet.co.uk

0845 117 6000 :)

Do you work for them?! 75% of your posts give their contact details!

LauraB
28-01-2008, 15:10 PM
Actually, ive been a customer of that company for a number of years..... so when someone asks for advice on insurance etc shall i just mention the company name im using and no contact details? In my opinion that wouldnt be very helpful now would it?!

pete's properties
29-01-2008, 09:22 AM
Sorry! Beg your pardon, my mistake