PDA

View Full Version : How attractive/unattractive a tenant am I?

Brogue
24-01-2008, 15:17 PM
Hi! Just out of interest I was wondering if landlords could let me know how they would perceive me as a tenant if I wanted to rent a house from you?

As there are obviously things that may be of concern...what could I do in these circumstances to reassure you?

My partner and I have been renting for 6ish years and never had any problems, always paid rent on time and in full - left houses in excellent condition, always have been given back our full deposits etc. Good credit histories, Non smokers.

Now to the (potential) negatives, am about to graduate so won't have a job when we move - we do have guarentors and my parents will (very kindly!) help me out with rent until I find a job - good uni, good degree, good CV from pre-Uni jobs, so it shouldn't be too much of a problem (at the very least to find a job that covers rent until something "perfect" comes along). My partner works at the moment but as we'll be moving cities will give this up to find a new job in the city we're moving to. Also, we're about to aquire my brothers (very well behaved!) cats.

Any advice would be welcomed...

pcwilkins
24-01-2008, 15:29 PM
How attractive/unattractive a tenant am I?

Post a picture of yourself and we'll have a vote.

Hi! Just out of interest I was wondering if landlords could let me know how they would perceive me as a tenant if I wanted to rent a house from you?

I don't think any reasonable landlord would have much of a problem with you. If you have a guarantor, LL can always chase them for rent.

Others might disagree but I can't see any problem. Apart from the cats, possibly --- some LLs are strict about "no pets".

Peter

Ericthelobster
24-01-2008, 17:42 PM
I don't think any reasonable landlord would have much of a problem with you. If you have a guarantor, LL can always chase them for rent.

Others might disagree but I can't see any problem. Apart from the cats, possibly --- some LLs are strict about "no pets".Yes, I concur with all the above.

Brogue
24-01-2008, 18:48 PM
Well that's reasurring! I'll just have to find a cat friendly landlord.

Tori Bellatrix
24-01-2008, 19:01 PM
Well that's reasurring! I'll just have to find a cat friendly landlord.

If it helps, I've rented a number of times (mostly private but currently moving into a new property via an agent) and I've never had any problems taking my cats in to the properties. :)

Surrey
24-01-2008, 20:56 PM
You might find you have additional requirements to meet, perhaps a slightly higher deposit or a requirement to cover the cost of professional carpet cleaning, or even defleaing the house if when you leave it turns out to be infested, so do make sure you treat your moggies for fleas regularly, to prevent a problem developing. Other than that, the fact that you've rented for several years and have a history of being a good tenant (as well as the guarantors) makes you much more attractive than someone with no renting history.

Brogue
24-01-2008, 22:05 PM
I think I'll deflea the cats for my own benefit apart from anything else as don't imagine living in a flea infested house would be much fun for me!

Thanks for your replies. Was concerned the mix of being an unemployed wastrel (even in the short term) and the cats would limit my options at lot more than it seems it will, so you've all set my mind at rest.

heather5
25-01-2008, 18:46 PM
All the lettings agents I have ever dealt with - and I was once in your situation but different - have a thing about pets.

I came from 10 years overseas and though mature with money - needed a guarantor - that was my bro - and no problems there. So as long as you have a bonefide guarantor - you're okay.

But pets - in Bucks - anyone who brings in pets must have curtains, carpet and miscellaneous cleaned professionally by an approved person when handing over the property otherwise they'll be charged heavily.

It could be the cats that let you down!! Just be prepared for the costs on leaving.