PDA

View Full Version : Boiler Breakdown

BMc
24-01-2008, 11:09 AM
Can anyone inform me as to what a 'reasonable' repair time is in relation to a Boiler Breakdown (heating and water).

T informed me yesterday of the problem and I arranged for a plumber to attend today. A part needs to be ordered and the plumber has arranged to come back tomorrow morning and fit. So hopefully the repair will have been carried out in 48 hours.

I can understand that it is inconvenient for T, but she is now talking about compensation as the heaters I provided her with and the extra kettles being boiled for hot water are using more electricity than usual.

Bearing in mind that I have not put the rent up for over a year and a half. I am also having new windows fitted to the house to make it more comfortable - I think she is being a bit unfair, is she?

Skengland
24-01-2008, 11:20 AM
I'm not sure of the law, but I let my last LL get away with taking 6 months to fix the boiler....

You can safely assume that 4 days from report to fixing is more than reasonable. Compensation for what? Exactly...

pcwilkins
24-01-2008, 11:32 AM
I think she is being a bit unfair, is she?

Yes. A week is reasonable for fixing a boiler in my opinion.

As for the extra electricity she's using, it's her choice to use the heaters and the kettle. You've provided them for her but she can't make you responsible for the fact that she has chosen to use them.

Ask her how she thinks people managed 200 years ago and tell her to stop being such a moaner.

Peter

BMc
24-01-2008, 11:45 AM
'tell her to stop being such a moaner'

Oh you know her!!!

jeffrey
24-01-2008, 11:50 AM
Yes. A week is reasonable for fixing a boiler in my opinion.

As for the extra electricity she's using, it's her choice to use the heaters and the kettle. You've provided them for her but she can't make you responsible for the fact that she has chosen to use them.

Ask her how she thinks people managed 200 years ago and tell her to stop being such a moaner.

Peter
The 200-year-ago argument is irrelevant. The legislation (s.11 of LTA 1985) is what counts. If L is being reasonably quick in installing replacement equipment and provided stop-gap heating in the interim, T has no real grounds for complaint.

pcwilkins
24-01-2008, 11:51 AM
The 200-year-ago argument is irrelevant.

I wasn't suggesting that OP could rely on it in court!

Peter

justaboutsane
24-01-2008, 17:45 PM
Sounds like an ex tenant of ours! complete pain . no matter how quick you dealt with a job she still complained!

I don't think 4 days is alot.. I went without heating for months! Such is life!

Poppy35
24-01-2008, 19:43 PM
4 days, blilmy we have tenant whose boiler broke 2 weeks ago and the part wont be in stock until 4th feb - its a combi boiler and they dont have an electric shower so no hot water or heating - nothing we can do - part is on back order and british gas have 600 of the parts on back order so not even sure of the chances of getting the part!

landlord is seriously considering stumping up £1500 for new boiler to be fitted which can be done now.

he and I are doing everything we can to try and sort the problem but we cant majic the part out of thin air im afraid.

montana
24-11-2008, 12:05 PM
Hi,

My parents boiler broke down this summer and it took the landlord over a week to send round a tradesman to repair the problem.

The boiler is once again making funny noises and we suspect that it is on its way out again very shortly.

The gas boiler runs the whole central heating system in their home.

Please can anyone inform me what is considered reasonable time for a Landlord to send a tradesman to your home over such an issue, bearing in mind that both my parents are pensioners and the winter period is upon us now.

Thanks.

Sirius
24-11-2008, 12:50 PM
If you "think you can smell gas" you can call the gas board yourselves.
Be warned if it is in bad shape they may condemn it and stop you using it.

Does your tenancy agreement mention heating?

mind the gap
24-11-2008, 13:08 PM
If you "think you can smell gas" you can call the gas board yourselves.
Be warned if it is in bad shape they may condemn it and stop you using it.

Does your tenancy agreement mention heating?

I don't think the TA needs to mention heating, since it is a LLs statutory duty to provide and maintain equipment to ensure tenants have the means to heat rooms and water.

If the boiler breaks down, your parents should contact LL immediately and ask him to get an engineer round as soon as possible - with 48 hours or sooner. Most LLs have an emergency insurance policy for this and the insurers do prioritise cases invvolving older people and children.

If the boiler takes more than a few days to fix, LL should provide your parents with convector heaters or other safe means of heating space. If he fails to do so within a few of days of breakdown, they should buy some space heaters themselves (£20 each from Argos) and deduct this cost from their rent.

If LL does not get boiler fixed promptly, they can call an engineer out themselves and deduct repair cost from rent, but they must tell LL in writing they are about to do that.

It would be a good idea for your parents to write to LL at this stage (ie before a breakdown) telling him of their concerns and asking to see the gas safety certificate CP 12 which will have certified the boiler safe at some point within the last 12 months). As Sirius says, if they smell gas, they should switch it off, get out and call Transco immediately.

p_cas
24-11-2008, 13:35 PM
Yes, but Transo aren't going to be interested if there's not a gas leak. They're not going to investigate 'funny noises' from the boiler or anywhere else.

The times we've had to call out someone to fix our own boiler it has often been 2 - 3 days before they can attend and they can't always fix it at the first visit. I would have thought that was reasonable.

You should bear in mind that its possibly not the LL delaying but maybe that the plumbers are busy.

mind the gap
24-11-2008, 13:55 PM
Yes, but Transo aren't going to be interested if there's not a gas leak. They're not going to investigate 'funny noises' from the boiler or anywhere else. I didn't say they would be. Sirius and I both said 'IF' they smell gas. Could be life and death - always worth mentioning.
The times we've had to call out someone to fix our own boiler it has often been 2 - 3 days before they can attend and they can't always fix it at the first visit. I would have thought that was reasonable. I agree, but most people would recognise that the elderly can be especially vulnerable to cold and should be treated as priority by LL and engineers.
You should bear in mind that its possibly not the LL delaying but maybe that the plumbers are busy. All the more reason for the LL to get them some other form of heating and an insurance policy which gets an engineer out the same day.

Please see responses in red

cold tennant
07-01-2009, 23:57 PM
Our boiler broke on the 27th of december wwhich was reported to the foxtons who manage our property on the same day. We have subsequntly not had any hot water or heating since this date. We were ofeed £50 towards electric heaters on the 30th but no solution to our hot water issue. As a result we have moved out of the property and sort alternative accomadation as we did not see it as habitable. Fruitless efforts have been made to resolve the problemsince we repoted it. Are we entitled to monetary compensation for our inconvinince?

jeffrey
08-01-2009, 10:28 AM
Our boiler broke on the 27th of december wwhich was reported to the foxtons who manage our property on the same day. We have subsequntly not had any hot water or heating since this date. We were ofeed £50 towards electric heaters on the 30th but no solution to our hot water issue. As a result we have moved out of the property and sort alternative accomadation as we did not see it as habitable. Fruitless efforts have been made to resolve the problemsince we repoted it. Are we entitled to monetary compensation for our inconvinince?
Yes, in effect. Read section 11 of the Landlord and Tenant Act 1985*. It sets-out L's inescapable obligations.

*: you can find it at http://www.statutelaw.gov.uk/Home.aspx (http://www.statutelaw.gov.uk/Homem.aspx).