PDA

View Full Version : Is RCD (Residual Current Device) a legal requirement?

spacehopper_man
24-01-2008, 09:38 AM
Hallo - the agent had an electrician look at my property -

the reported a "code 1" failure that there wasn't an RCD (Residual Current Device) fitted to the electrical system - and quoted £230 to fit one.

anyone know if this is a requirement to meet the 1994 electrical regulations.

are there any other options available (eg fitting individual RCD devices downstairs sockets) ?

thanks very much for any help,
cheers,
O.

Caltech Electrical
18-04-2008, 07:32 AM
Depending on the type of board / Consumer unit you can add something called an RCBO. This is a combined MCB and RCD for 1 circuit they cost between £25 and £60. The electrician has probably priced for associated remedial work to allow him to leave the job in a safe condition.

Mars Mug
18-04-2008, 08:14 AM
A few days ago I had exactly the same report, Code 1 RCD needed. I suspect there might be cheaper options than replacing the entire consumer unit at a price of about £300, but the existing one is old and I am quite happy to get it replaced for simple safety reasons.

The unit in my Mother’s council house is an ancient wire fuse type with no RCD at all and as far as I am aware has not been inspected for 40 years. The house wiring has not been inspected / changed for over 40 years either. What are the rules for councils? Are they different to private landlords?

Caltech Electrical
18-04-2008, 16:26 PM
A few days ago I had exactly the same report, Code 1 RCD needed. I suspect there might be cheaper options than replacing the entire consumer unit at a price of about £300, but the existing one is old and I am quite happy to get it replaced for simple safety reasons.

The unit in my Mother’s council house is an ancient wire fuse type with no RCD at all and as far as I am aware has not been inspected for 40 years. The house wiring has not been inspected / changed for over 40 years either. What are the rules for councils? Are they different to private landlords?
Its hard to comment without a copy of the report. If you want me to take a look and give you some free advice i am happy to take a look. My contact details (email) are available by following the link in my signiture below.

Mars Mug
18-04-2008, 18:55 PM
I’m an electrical engineer myself, but design weapons and nuclear systems, I am not Part P qualified. I would like to have the unit replaced with something safer, and while I could probably get it done cheaper I don’t think £300 is an excessive price and a few other smaller jobs will be done at the same time. But thanks for the offer.