PDA

View Full Version : Tenants and keys

alidee
21-01-2008, 16:06 PM
I have a tenant who is not keen on the landlord having a spare key to her room.
she wants the key to give to her friend in case she mislays her own - which she has a few times already in 3 months.
I explained she can get one cut and the landlord will not use his to enter the property unless she agrees.
I pointed out that if she lost all keys we would have to change locks and being firedoors could cost a fortune.
I think i know what I want to say to the tenant but would be interested in any feedback from you guys as to what you would do in this situation :confused:

Thanks in advance

jeffrey
21-01-2008, 16:17 PM
Are you:
a. L;
b. L's agent; or
c. someone else?

alidee
21-01-2008, 16:33 PM
Hi Jeffery

Sorry should have said - I'm landlords agent but hes also a friend

pcwilkins
22-01-2008, 07:34 AM
I have a tenant who is not keen on the landlord having a spare key to her room.

I'd be inclined to say tough --- the LL has a spare key and that's that.

If she wants another spare she can get one cut, as you say.

Peter

fallenlord
22-01-2008, 10:38 AM
I agree - the landlord is entitled to have a key incase of emergencies, and provided visits for any other reasons are arranged and agreed with the tenant before hand then I dont see any reason for her to complain

alidee
22-01-2008, 19:22 PM
thanks for your reply guys - pretty much what i was thinking ;)

alidee

pete's properties
23-01-2008, 08:39 AM
Some tenants feel insecure if the landlord has a key.

If you want to solve this amicably without getting into legal entanglements, you could allow tenants to have an inside door bolt or chain.

:)

Bel
23-01-2008, 11:05 AM
If the LL holds a key, he does not have to give it up. But the T may change her lock if she feels insecure (it happens).

LL cannot enter without tenants permission, except in dire emergency; so having keys is not really going to be a big issue in a bedroom situation.

As long as LL has contact details of nominated keyholder who lives convenietly close, this could be a solution without the tenant feeling 'controlled'.