PDA

View Full Version : World's worst word/phrase

jeffrey
19-10-2007, 08:54 AM
My nomination for worst neologism is HEADS UP (decided by tossing coin?)
Is it the opposite of "heads down"? Surely, "heads down" means either:
a. people asleep;
b. people hard at work; or
c. what Monica Lewinsky did to President Clinton.

DianeB
19-10-2007, 11:27 AM
I reckon the opposite should be 'Bottoms Up'. A much nicer thought. Though maybe you could toss the coin to see whose round it is. In which case Heads I win - tails you lose!

jeffrey
19-10-2007, 11:36 AM
I reckon the opposite should be 'Bottoms Up'. A much nicer thought. Though maybe you could toss the coin to see whose round it is. In which case Heads I win - tails you lose!
1. I thought that "Bottoms up" was a stage direction in Shakespeare's "Midsummer Night's Dream"- not to be confused with "Midsomer Murders" nor "Together in Electric Dreams".
2. "Whose round it is"? All coins ARE round (except 20p, 50p, and the old 3d bit).
3. "Heads I win" was the motto of the Tricoteuses in France.
4. "Tails you lose" does not apply to mermaids.

jeffrey
24-10-2007, 15:21 PM
Another annoying one: in financial/numerical context- HEADING SOUTH.
If you mean "going downwards" or "declining", say so.
Why is south necessarily bad, or north good (except in England, of course, where that's self-evident)?
Normally, and except as above, NORTH tends to imply:
grim
cold
poor.
Conversely, SOUTH tends to imply:
warm
beautiful [pop group]

lorenzo
24-10-2007, 16:10 PM
I don't know, it's all just a bit of analogous/metaphorical wordplay. It's what makes language interesting and colourful; and in fact assists in conveying meanings.

The danger is overuse, then we have cliche', which these phrases have probably become.

jeffrey
24-10-2007, 16:18 PM
I don't know, it's all just a bit of analogous/metaphorical wordplay. It's what makes language interesting and colourful; and in fact assists in conveying meanings.

The danger is overuse, then we have cliche', which these phrases have probably become.
Cliches? They're like a red rag to a bull. I avoid them like the plague.

lorenzo
24-10-2007, 17:24 PM
Cliches? They're like a red rag to a bull. I avoid them like the plague.
Yeah, I wouldn't touch them with a ten foot barge pole either.

jeffrey
26-10-2007, 09:37 AM
Thinking out of the box
Blue sky thinking
Pushing the envelope
Run it up the flagpole and salute it
Does it [e.g. an idea or proposal] have legs
The new black (etc.)

(Sigh) Is there a special institute where employees are engaged to coin nonsense neologisms? If so, why? Aren't there already sufficient ways of using accurate English to say anything that needs to be said?

Skengland
26-10-2007, 13:39 PM
Ooooo no..'they're' now making them pc. You're not allowed to say 'brainstorming' anymore - that could affend people people with mental problems - you have to say 'mind showering'. You've got to think outside the box....;)

pcwilkins
26-10-2007, 14:25 PM
You've got to think outside the box....

Could offend the homeless?

Peter

jeffrey
28-10-2007, 21:38 PM
Ooooo no..'they're' now making them pc. You're not allowed to say 'brainstorming' anymore - that could affend people people with mental problems - you have to say 'mind showering'. You've got to think outside the box....;)
I don't mind showering (it doesn't "affend" or even offend me) but prefer a bath.

Skengland
29-10-2007, 13:54 PM
Homeless?? Are you allowed to say that?? Surely it should be accommodationly challenged...

Esio Trot
30-10-2007, 15:34 PM
A few years ago I heard that there was a campaign to change the name of a certain town in the Midlands to Personchester

pcwilkins
30-10-2007, 20:19 PM
Creaturechester would be more inclusive.

jeffrey
30-10-2007, 22:06 PM
Creaturechester would be more inclusive.
But the reference to "chest" is provocative to those with a puerile sense of humour (guilty as charged, Your Honour).

pcwilkins
31-10-2007, 09:50 AM
Creatureupperthoraxer?

Peter

jeffrey
31-10-2007, 17:18 PM
More worst words and phrases:

ballpark figure (= estimate)
international community (= other countries)
clear blue water (= a difference/differentiation)
red lines (= limit)
legal eagles (what could this mean, apart from journalistic liking for rhyming [or alliteration]?)
joined-up thinking (= logic)
negative feedback (= criticism)

Surrey
01-11-2007, 23:49 PM
"Heads up": I thought that phrase was from those snazzy "HUDs" (another acronym, heads-up displays) on fighter planes where instrument data is projected onto the glass in front of the pilot so he can keep his head up rather than looking down at the instrument panel.

(Oh dear, I am such a saddo!)

And for those of you who work in the 'corporate' world, have you ever played bullshit bingo? To be played by minions in a meeting or presentation led by one of the corporate hot-shots.

1. Each member has a list of 5 'buzz-words', along the lines of "pushing the envelope", "blue sky thinking" etc.
2. During the presentation each player listens out for the words on their list.
3. The first one to cross off all the phrases on their own list stands up and says "Bingo".

I've never known anyone to actually perform step 3, but there have been lots of very amusing post-meeting meetings to discuss results!

jeffrey
12-11-2007, 14:16 PM
A few years ago I heard that there was a campaign to change the name of a certain town in the Midlands to Personchester
Mancunians may not care to be described as "Midlands" denizens, you know...

pcwilkins
12-11-2007, 14:55 PM
Perhaps he meant Birmingham.

jeffrey
12-11-2007, 14:57 PM
Perhaps he meant Birmingham.
Of course! The similarity with "Manchester" is obvious when you read the words...