PDA

View Full Version : Job application question

kfarmah
04-09-2007, 15:54 PM
You are driving down the road in your 2 seater sports car on a wild stormy night, when you pass by a bus stop and you see three people waiting for the bus:
1. An old lady who looks as if she is about to die.
2. An old friend who once saved your life.
3. The perfect partner you have been dreaming about.

Which one would you choose to offer a ride to, knowing that there could only be one passenger in your car?
Think seriously about this before you continue reading.

This is a moral/ethical dilemma that was once actually used as part of a job application. You could pick up the old lady, because she is going to die, and thus you should save her first. Or you could take the old friend because he once saved your life, and this would be the perfect chance to pay him back. However, you may never be able to find your perfect mate again.
The candidate who was hired (out of 200 applicants) had no trouble coming up with his answer.

My answer is to run the old lady over and put her out of her misery, have s*x with the perfect partner on the bonnet of the car, then drive off with the old friend for a few beers.

What would you do??

kfarmah
05-09-2007, 14:26 PM
The winning answer was...

"I would give the car keys to my old friend and let him take the lady to the hospital. I would stay behind and wait for the bus with the partner of my dreams."

jeffrey
05-09-2007, 14:44 PM
Answer is wrong.
1. It disregards given data.
"Which one would you choose to offer a ride to" demands that you + one other are in car. Your answer excludes yourself from car.
2. It assumes improbabilities.
How can one "look as if she is about to die"?
3. It places credence on dreams.
Dreams are a load of cobblers. If you seriously view them (or a brief lustful glance at someone) as a basis for a life-long marriage, you need psychiatric help.

The real answer - if the old lady is genuinely at death's door- is to take her at once to hospital. One who saves a life is like one who saves the whole world; life is infinitely valuable and should never be jeopardised.
The friend will understand your prioritisation. The dream woman is just a dream, so forget her.

pcwilkins
05-09-2007, 15:08 PM
If the old lady is about to die, then taking her to hospital seems inefficient. Why not take her straight to the funeral parlour?

In any case, I would assume that if they are waiting at a bus stop, they want to catch a bus, not a sports car. So I'd just drive straight past.

Would that get the job?

Peter

kfarmah
05-09-2007, 15:19 PM
If the old lady is about to die, then taking her to hospital seems inefficient. Why not take her straight to the funeral parlour?

In any case, I would assume that if they are waiting at a bus stop, they want to catch a bus, not a sports car. So I'd just drive straight past.

Would that get the job?

Peter

In my books yes !
My answer was ....
run the old lady over and put her out of her misery, have s*x with the perfect partner on the bonnet of the car, then drive off with the old friend for a few beers.

Colincbayley
05-09-2007, 15:22 PM

Would that get the job?

Peter

With that view, why bother with the funeral parlour, give her a spade and get her to start digging her own grave.:eek:

I doubt you would get the job.

Better still, stuff the job, go self-employed, then you won't need to answer daft questions..

Colincbayley
05-09-2007, 15:23 PM
In my books yes !
My answer was ....
run the old lady over and put her out of her misery, have s*x with the perfect partner on the bonnet of the car, then drive off with the old friend for a few beers.

See you've got that bit back to front.
Have the beers with your old mate first, then pop back for a bit of the other with the bird from the bus stop.

DianeB
05-09-2007, 20:29 PM
Well, if the old lady is dying, then she won't need her house anymore.

Buy it off her and rent it out to dream girl and man who saved your life.

cillitbanger
05-09-2007, 20:37 PM
See you've got that bit back to front.
Have the beers with your old mate first, then pop back for a bit of the other with the bird from the bus stop.
PMSL and see if the OLD bird is still breathing???:D