PDA

View Full Version : Room unusable- water damage- how much compensation?

droid223
31-08-2007, 14:06 PM
Recently one of the rooms in my rented flat sufferred damp damage, and the landlord has to get it sorted within a certain timeframe to claim it off the insurance. It will mean losing the bedroom of a one bed flat for at least 10 days. This has the effect of me losing the normal use of both the bedroom and the lounge, as I will be moving all the bedroom furniture into the lounge.

Anyone have any guidelines for how much compensation I should be happy to accept for this?

Many thanks

jeffrey
31-08-2007, 14:33 PM
Recently one of the rooms in my rented flat sufferred damp damage, and the landlord has to get it sorted within a certain timeframe to claim it off the insurance. It will mean losing the bedroom of a one bed flat for at least 10 days. This has the effect of me losing the normal use of both the bedroom and the lounge, as I will be moving all the bedroom furniture into the lounge.

Anyone have any guidelines for how much compensation I should be happy to accept for this?

Many thanks

If there are two rooms (lounge, bedroom) and one is unusable, suggest 50% rent discount for the period in question. Most likely, the Letting Agreement contains a Rent Suspension clause, along those lines, and L's insurance should provide cover for loss of rent.

droid223
31-08-2007, 14:56 PM
If there are two rooms (lounge, bedroom) and one is unusable, suggest 50% rent discount for the period in question. Most likely, the Letting Agreement contains a Rent Suspension clause, along those lines, and L's insurance should provide cover for loss of rent.

Thanks Jeffrey