View Full Version : Tenants trashing house.

jim hare
13-08-2005, 07:40 AM
My tenants have violent arguments and trash the property in the process.The last time the tenant's boyfriend was locked out and he just kicked down two doors and wrecked the conservatory door as well in order to get in.The police were called but he was released without charge as the tenant refused to co-operate with the police and there were no other witnesses.These arguments happen every few days and the police usually get involved.I am awaiting a possession order and expect to obtain vacant possession in the next six weeks.Is there ANYTHING I can do in the meantime.The property is likely to be completely wrecked by then.

13-08-2005, 11:44 AM
Hire a hit man

13-08-2005, 14:25 PM
Apart from Alex's suggestion, there's not a lot you can do. You'll just have to sit tight until you get possession.

13-08-2005, 16:16 PM
Agreed. But make SURE you get forwarding addresses somehow, however you do it get them! As you can then take them to small claims court for money to pay for the damages.

jim hare
13-08-2005, 18:39 PM
Thanks for all the replies.The law seems completely deficient when it comes to dealing with nightmare tenants.It seems nothing can be done even when the police can see what's going on.I will get bailiffs to evict them as soon as the law allows.

13-08-2005, 20:43 PM
Agreed. But make SURE you get forwarding addresses somehow, however you do it get them! As you can then take them to small claims court for money to pay for the damages.Don't bank on it, some time ago, a contributor to this forum posted that his place had been trashed by his tenants. Police refused to do anything on the grounds that there was no witness to the tenants damaging the property and therefore no proof that it was actually the tenants that did. Tough on crime, tough on the causes of crime I don't think. Now if the tenants had driven off at 34mph they'd be in the nick in no time. Cynic, me, never!!!

13-08-2005, 23:44 PM
Erm....what do the police have to do with small claims court??

And im not promising he can get the money back, but if he gets the address he can sue them, and as long as he has a signed inventory or something else to prove condition of the property prior to tenants moving in, then he certainly should win a small claims case.

jim hare
14-08-2005, 01:54 AM
Thanks but the damage has to be repaired now to secure the property and it is covered by insurance (but the insurance company has appointed an adjuster and may decline as this is the third such claim in under a year).The tenant has already denied responsibility and as Mr Woof has stated the police will not act as there are no witnesses.I am worried that there will be a recurrence in the remaining six weeks as these 'domestics' occur at least twice a week.A previous 'fight' between them resulted in both of them being locked up in police cells for two days and a suspended fine for both of them in the Magistrate's Court for breaching the peace.This was obviously no deterrent.

17-08-2005, 09:14 AM
As there is only a short while to go I am not sure what options are open to you. If there have been numerous complaints the local environmental health office should have been looking into this problem.

I understand that they have powers to evict any tenant whether private or council if consistent disruptive behaviour can be proved. Might be worth a call to them to see if they can help.

jim hare
18-08-2005, 07:54 AM
Thanks mjpl.The police have been in attendance on numerous occasions to settle their rows so I will call the environmental health offices.Thans again for the tip.

19-08-2005, 13:26 PM
Too late to bother now, but you could have used either of these discretionary Grounds for possession, though they involve a lot of work to get proof, witnesses etc:

Ground 13
The tenant, or anyone living with him/her have allowed the property or parts of it (including common parts) to deteriorate. If the deterioration has been caused by someone living with the tenant, and the tenant has failed to get rid of that person then a Possession Order may be made.

Ground 14
The tenant or a person living with him/her or visiting him/her has caused or is likely to cause a nuisance or annoyance to neighbours or their neighbours, guests or visitors to the area. Or the tenant has been convicted of using the property for immoral or illegal purposes or has been convicted for an arrestable offence committed in the area.

jim hare
19-08-2005, 17:42 PM
RichieP - Thanks very much but I have the possession order now.It is the next six weeks that worry me.I am looking for a way to evict them straight away if they start smashing up the property again.