PDA

View Full Version : Southcourt pack for sale

bpm
08-08-2005, 17:22 PM
Hi all, I have a Southcourt Letting Agency pack for sale. If you are unsure what it is and what it can do for you please do a search for Southcourt within this forum and visit http://www.lettings-opportunity.co.uk/.
Please don't start flaming me for starting another Southcourt thread! :o
I will also throw in a used 'Residential Letting and Property Management' Technical Award Open Learning Course, written by ARLA, NAEA, PSNTO, RICS

Paul_f
09-08-2005, 13:18 PM
I spoke with Mike Hathaway who owns Southcourt some months ago and he was going to send me a pack f.o.c. so that I could look through it jsut out of interest to see at what level of landlord it was aiming. I promised not to comment upon it, but unfortunately it never materialised.

The only comment Mike made to me when questioned was that it lacked detail on lawful procedures! Make of that what you will!

By the way there is unlikely to be any takers if past performance is anything to go by on the "zone" when others have tried previously!

dazalock
09-08-2005, 13:49 PM
I see one went on ebay for about £210, you may try your luck there

MrShed
09-08-2005, 14:14 PM
Can someone explain to me what "Southcourt" is? Is it just a training pack for prospective letting agents or summat?

dazalock
09-08-2005, 16:22 PM
Its a franchise pack, details at http://www.lettings-opportunity.co.uk/

Moose
14-08-2005, 08:30 AM
Does this come with Southcourts approval and use of their telephone helpline?

MikeH
14-08-2005, 09:44 AM
Hello PaulF. The 'foc pack' never materialised because I changed my mind about sending it to you. Why? On reflection I wasn't convinced by the reason you gave for wanting it. You may also recall that I asked what would be the benefit to Southcourt, or what you were offering in return, but there was nothing. We subsequently took a look at your training website, and decided that you were a competitor. Now why would we send our material foc to a competitor? And why would he want it except to improve his own product?

As for my comment about the legal side, what I actually meant, as you well know, was that you -- a question setter and Joint NAEA, ARLA & RICS Examination and Assessment Board member -- would find the legal side not as complete as *you* might like. As for your remark 'Make of that what you will' -- yes, I hope people do. Not trying to disparage the competition by any chance are you?

We do not have a problem here at Southcourt with the legal side of our Complete Business Package, and nor do any of our customers, and we've been selling it for over 6 years. We have even sold to more than one solicitor, as well as a chain of estate agents. It goes without saying that we include sufficient working knowledge of relevant legislation and common law for the purpose in hand. We also include all necessary legal documentation checked by our solicitors, a detailed 'troubleshooting' section, telephone support including legal, a password protected Members Area on our website for legal updates, and discounted subscription to 'Letting Update Journal' published by The Letting Centre.

For the info of MrShed and any newcomers to this forum, Southcourt Property Management do not offer a 'training course' -- we offer a business opportunity in the form of our Letting Agency Complete Business Package: www.lettings-opportunity.co.uk. It's a lot more than just a training course. It's a 'turn-key' operation, everything is put together for you, you just have to get on with it. Our product represents a comprehensive, well-balanced, professionally supported and proven fast-track route to setting up and operating an independent letting agency, and we have a string of very successful and satisfied customers. It's not intended for 'mature students' or dreamers, it's for the ambitious self-motivated entrepreneur.

The Complete Business Package includes Training/Operating Manual, Documentation, Marketing Action Plans, Ongoing Telephone Support Line, Property Management Software, Ready-made Website Templates, Customer Referrals, Ongoing Updates and Trade Contacts. We've just had a major rewrite of the Training/Operating Manual which is now 230 pages, and the docs are over 65 sides.

The reason the 'packs' don't sell well secondhand is because (a) people prefer mint condition, (b) they prefer them up-to-date, and (c) we no longer transfer the support elements (adviceline, updates, referrals).

I don't tend to have much time to spend in forums these days, so forgive me if I do not respond to further input to this thread. I'm not ignoring you, I'm just not here! In the meantime if anyone wishes to set up a letting agency we'll be pleased to help.

Have a good day everyone! :D

Paul_f
14-08-2005, 22:25 PM
Mike. I really had to smile at your post because you have completely grabbed the wrong end of the stick. If you feel I'm a direct competitor then all fool you! It's just a pity you couldn't reply to my e-mail directly and tell me yourself why you wouldn't send me the pack. I don't think I would even make a mild impression on your business, but your ego appears to have received somewhat of a huge whack!

I've even trained direct competitors down the road from my office as I'm more interested in raising the standard of letting agents and getting them to join NAEA or ARLA than making money. I could sit on my arse all day and still command a decent income but I happen to use my time a lot more constructively. Give me a break and TRUST me! It's the suspicious nature that pervades within the industry and everybody thinks somebody else is trying to get one over on them, which is infantile and unnecessary. It's the sort of reaction I would expect from some young whippersnapper!

I hope since I've been teaching the Technical Award I have gained respect with the lettings industry in my area. Agents know they can phone me and I will give them an honest appraisal when they have a problem, whether they are next door or miles away. Knowledge should be shared for the benefit of all!

If you need an endorsement try speaking with Tom.

MikeH
15-08-2005, 09:44 AM
It works both ways Paul. If you had not posted your remarks, there would have been no need to defend Southcourt.

Anyway, no problem, I like to have a brag about our CBP every now and then.

Thanks for the 'young whippersnapper' bit - any description these days which includes the word 'young' is music to my ears.

Anyway I'm pleased I made you smile.

Energise
15-08-2005, 10:00 AM
Hello PaulF. The 'foc pack' never materialised because I changed my mind about sending it to you. Why? On reflection I wasn't convinced by the reason you gave for wanting it. You may also recall that I asked what would be the benefit to Southcourt, or what you were offering in return, but there was nothing. We subsequently took a look at your training website, and decided that you were a competitor. Now why would we send our material foc to a competitor? And why would he want it except to improve his own product?

Dont you think if he really thought your package would offer any improvement to his own business, he would just buy a package on ebay and then resell it (well thats what I would do).

Somebody with as much as experience as Paul_f that spends as much time as he does assisting others on this forum alone without a 'please enter your credit card detals here' really deserves to have their character judged differently.

--------------------------

"I asked what would be the benefit to Southcourt"

Paul_f 16/5/2005
"The Southcourt package is good for all the basics,and I hope to be able to look at the package shortly"
How does that sound to you? Probably far more beneficial to Southcourt than your post has been.

--------------------------

"In the meantime if anyone wishes to set up a letting agency we'll be pleased to help."

Well if Paul_f had had a chance to fully review it and gave it a favourable review I certainly would of considered it. As a new landlord this forum was the first place I found for answers and recomendations and is still the first place I look.

TonyH
15-08-2005, 20:13 PM
As an impartial outsider:
I always find Mike's comments courteous and helpful.
I always find Paul's comments rude and patronising.

By the way, I don't have any connection with Southcourt or anyone on these boards.

Regards

Tony

MrShed
15-08-2005, 23:19 PM
Well....which of Mikes posts would you be talking about? Hes only made 2. And although Paul is frequently rude and patronising :D I think, as an impartial outsider, you could not fail to describe his posts as almost always helpful and insightful.

Paul_f
16-08-2005, 08:25 AM
Ah! But you've all benefitted from accuracy and knowledge, and the criticisms mainly come from members of the "Flat Earth Society".

You don't have to read my posts after all. You could just carry on a make a complete mess of things which is a much better idea if you feel patronised. Makes no difference to me!

You should just consider yourselves lucky I'm here instead of taking the moral high ground because some of the polite, politically correct answers for those sensitive souls of a nervous disposition are crap! Look at other similar sites and you'll see what I mean.

Tootsie Roll
16-08-2005, 09:14 AM
Ah! But you've all benefitted from accuracy and knowledge, and the criticisms mainly come from members of the "Flat Earth Society".

You don't have to read my posts after all. You could just carry on a make a complete mess of things which is a much better idea if you feel patronised. Makes no difference to me!

You should just consider yourselves lucky I'm here instead of taking the moral high ground because some of the polite, politically correct answers for those sensitive souls of a nervous disposition are crap! Look at other similar sites and you'll see what I mean.

Wow - with your ego there is hardly any room on here for us mere mortals !!

dazalock
16-08-2005, 09:15 AM
Yes, Paul's Comments are helpfull if a little terse. As I understand it, Paul is a trainer, and as I have also been a trainer in the past there are things that let Paul down, this is his "manner". My concern is that if people are scared to post a question or to post their own comments on a question, they may never be corrected and therefore go on doing and thinking the wrong things. As I have said before, this is a forum, and therefore a place to share ideas and being polite and courteous is important. Paul has an incredible knowledge of this industry, and I am grateful for any advice given, but I am also a human being and if someone is rude to me, I will respond, and that gives rise to a dangerous situation whereby the forum could degenerate to a slanging match, I guess this is where the moderator needs to step in.

So, Paul, thank you for all your help in the past and for your future help, Mike, maybe you could help the community a little with a few pointers. All you guests sign up and start posting your questions even if you think they have been covered before or are lame, this is a friendly forum, and we all learn from them.

mjpl
16-08-2005, 16:14 PM
Perhaps that is why several other people respond to questions in a more delicate tone.

I try and spend a little time every week answering queries despite the fact that I am still an agent. I do agree with Paul though, my interests lie with a better lettings industry as a whole and I will do my bit to ensure it.

I have been in lettings for 11 years now and have as yet never had to attend court on the wrong side. It is a shame that unscrupulous agents and landlords bring everyone down with them

Paul_f
17-08-2005, 11:10 AM
Thanks for your comments. I'll take them all on board, both good and bad. I'm not just a trainer but a letting agent too, although I'm trying to offload it.

If my style doesn't suit I have nothing to apologise for. As dazalock says it's a forum for opinion, but as we're often dealing with lawful procedures here, many posters are probably not qualified enough nor apparently knowledgeable enough to give advice. That unfortunately is the inherent danger of the forum.

paul_c
17-08-2005, 12:22 PM
Well....which of Mikes posts would you be talking about? Hes only made 2. And although Paul is frequently rude and patronising :D I think, as an impartial outsider, you could not fail to describe his posts as almost always helpful and insightful.

Perhaps, like some others of us, he made more posts on the old board?

red40
17-08-2005, 16:44 PM
If you think Pauls advice is patronising, wait until you get to court :cool:

You will think Paul is a pussycat, so take the advice and remember......... water off a ducks back and possibly it will save you from the courts :D

Frankw
18-08-2005, 00:40 AM
Can someone explain to me what "Southcourt" is? Is it just a training pack for prospective letting agents or summat?

Mr Shed, I have the South court pack and I recently received a pack from the NAEA, the technical award for residential lettings. I would recommend the NAEA pack, also you get a qualification at the end of it.