View Full Version : Major Building Repairs and Rent

04-08-2005, 14:14 PM
In the rented property in which I live the bedroom ceiling recently fell down and required three weeks of repairs. For that time the bedroom was basically unusable and I had to sleep on the sofa. Am I entitled to a reduced rent for that period of time?
Furthermore, the ceiling actually fell on me and I probably have a broken rib. Any advice on this?

04-08-2005, 14:40 PM
Plenty of solicitors out there advertising no win no fee for accident claims. I hope your landlord is insured.


04-08-2005, 15:28 PM
My advice is to see a doctor. Why have you waited three weeks?

05-08-2005, 16:57 PM
Although it's unfortunate in that the ceiling collapsing was possibly not the direct fault of poor construction or workmanship (you don't say) the landlord should indeed compensate you for loss of use of the bedroom which I understand to be the only one. If you have a living room, & kitchen (I don't count the bathroom as that's not living space) it's reasonable to expect a third reduction in the rent for that period you were unable to use it.

Also you should have seen a doctor immediately after the incident to be able to claim compensation for injuries sustained.

05-08-2005, 21:54 PM
To be fair, it IS possible(although not altogether often) to mistake a cracked rib with bruising to the chest, and I wouldnt go to a doctor about that :|