PDA

View Full Version : Estate agents are low life

Robin
25-06-2007, 18:48 PM
Over the years having bought & sold dozens of properties. My conclusion is estate agents are one step up the food chain from thieves.
I've just been to view a property to add to my portfolio & the agent didn't bother to turn up. This has happened before with other agents or they turn up late, or they turn up with the wrong keys. You ask for details of a certain type of property in a certain price range. Then they never send details or phone you about that type of property. Instead they pester you for weeks with types of properties you never asked for. They never know how long leases have to run or who owns the freehold or manages it. In fact they seem to know practically nothing about what they are selling. How often have you seen 'awaiting image'. How long does it take to put a digital cam picture in the details.
I'm so glad it's now possible to deal with agents like www.halfapercent.com
They recently sold a house of mine for just 1/2% commission. Saved me thousands & they are really pleasant, efficient & professional to deal with. They put your property on rightmove & all the other main portals. I did the viewings so was able to assess how genuine the potential buyers were. The sooner the average high street agent is put out of business by estate agency moving to become internet based the better.

Colincbayley
25-06-2007, 19:01 PM
Over the years having bought & sold dozens of propeties. My conclusion is estate agents are one step up the food chain from thieves.
I've just been to view a property to add to my portfolio & the agent didn't bother to turn up. This has happened before with other agents or they turn up late, or they turn up with the wrong keys. You ask for details of a certain type of property in a certain price range. Then they never send details or phone you about that type of property. Instead they pester you for weeks with types of properties you never asked for. They never know how long leases have to run or who owns the freehold or manages it. In fact they seem to know practically nothing about what they are selling. How often have you seen 'awaiting image'. How long does it take to put a digital cam picture in the details.
I'm so glad it's now possible to deal with agents like www.halfapercent.com
They recently sold a house of mine for just 1/2% commision. Saved me thousands & they are really pleasant, efficient & professional to deal with. They put your property on rightmove & all the other main portals. I did the viewings so was able to assess how genuine the potential buyers were. The sooner the average high street agent is put out of business by estate agency moving to become internet based the better.

Had a bad day Robin ?

Although to some point I agree with you, most ( not all ) estate agents are only in it for the money. I'm sure they go on about customer service and there value for money, but we all know that most are just crap.

I tend to only deal with local small firms, the big chains just don't seem worth it. My biggest downfall in life is that if the service I receive is crap, then I tell them ( read there customer service charters, they ask for feedback) then they don't want to deal with me?? Odd that!!

There is another answer, you could always start your own firm :D

Robin
25-06-2007, 19:39 PM
'Tell them' you say. Well of course one can complain but it achieves nothing. An agent from one chain told me they wouldn't take the flat off the market until or unless I got my Buy2lat mortgage through their adviser. I complained to the Estate agents ombudsmen & got no where. Guess what.. the ombusmen is a front to make it look like estate agency is regulated. It isn't, the ombudsmen is paid for by estate agents so they aren't independantly regulated.

LondonFreeholder
25-06-2007, 19:56 PM
Yes, Most of these estate agents are difficult but some are a pain and one or two are absolutly wonderfull. I suppose always deal with the manager of the department you relate to eg sales lettings manager and treat them well. I have in my time owned an interest in an agency when one of the BTL bunch are giving my lettings manager a rollocking because my manager wanted to see in writing a copy of the letter of permission from freeholder to the BTL guy who was a leaseholder of a block of flats, permission that he could underlet because the lease was under 7 years. He screamed at my guy that the letter had come that morning and what did he think he way a lier? YES i replied, one of our managment companies based miles away owned the freehold and I knew that we had not sent such a letter out.

Frankly Estate agents are a pain, tenants are worse and landlords are the biggest B*****ds are around , depending on where you are on the loop.

LondonFreeholder
25-06-2007, 20:13 PM
Either that or you are extremely bright, your just refering us to a website you own... do'nt you!!!!:D

Robin
25-06-2007, 20:45 PM
Either that or you are extremely bright, your just refering us to a website you own... do'nt you!!!!:DHa ha that might look likely but genuinly & sincerely I can't praise 1/2% highly enough from recent experience. The net has changed most things forever. It's time it changed estate agency for the better.

stanley1
17-07-2007, 23:17 PM
them and car salesmen are alike!