PDA

View Full Version : Installation of Fire Doors For HMO's

Gatepark
27-07-2005, 16:59 PM
Does anybody know/ have had to do this for their properties where HMO's are concerned?

Can you buy the doors ready-made?

What about the seals and doorstops?

Thanks

Gatepark

mjpl
27-07-2005, 17:04 PM
Tell us about the property.

How many bedrooms, how many floors, have you taken instructions from your local council rather than a generalised information pack?

Gatepark
27-07-2005, 17:28 PM
I've spoken to the council know about the floors/ people regs and how many i need.

I just need to know ho i go about getting them/ if i buy everything seperately/ together etc...

red40
28-07-2005, 06:32 AM
You buy everything seperately unfortunaetly, although some merchants do sell the intumescent/smoke seals for a standard fire door, but generally it is sold seperately.

The doors to each flat entrance need to be FD30s (intumescent strip and smoke seal), the doors to the internal rooms (i.e lounge, bedroom) need to be FD30 (intumescent strip only).

You buy the door as a standard size, you have to get a joiner in to either rout out a channel for the smoke seal/intumescent strip on the door. Depending on what your local authority require, we sometimes ask for a new door frame if the original has seen better days.

If you fit fire doors dont forget you will have to remove the architrave and make sure the space between the frame and the brickwork/blockwork, etc is also sealed to a minimum of 30 minutes, no point in fitting a fire door if there is a gap behind the architrave.

All fire doors will need a suitable door closer, three 100mm hinges to each door, no mortice locks unless it has a suitable thumb turn on the inside side of the flat, and I think that is about all you will need to know :D

Then you will get onto fire/smoke detection, emergency lighting systems depending on the status of the property also upgrade the floors/ceilings to 30minute, along with the other items that are required.

Hope that helps :)

Gatepark
01-08-2005, 11:30 AM
yes thanks very much