PDA

View Full Version : Bedroom in the Cellar Bad Idea??

C_Corns
25-07-2005, 13:16 PM
I am thinking of purchasing a property with a friend with a view to letting. The mortgage will be £550 a month in total. The property consists of the downstairs half of a Victorian semi-detached house and consists of 1 bedroom, 1 living room, dining room and kitchen, and bathroom to the ground floor. The property also has a large cellar to which we are proprosing to rennovate to let as a 2 bedroom property.

I am after advice as to what best way to utilise the cellar. We are proposing to put in a tilt and turn window to get some light in there and putting in a small toilet with sink with stud partion wall surround. Is it best to leave at this or to go ahead with the 2nd bedroom idea to maximise rental income? I have been told off some people not to have a bedroom in the cellar.

Thank you

Dingbat
26-07-2005, 08:29 AM
Presumably you have checked building regs to ensure that the window will be large enough?

dazalock
26-07-2005, 09:03 AM
My concern would be damp, some cellars completely flood, last thing you want is a tenant in there in the winter when the water table rises!

Ericthelobster
26-07-2005, 09:41 AM
Is said cellar already 'habitable'?
If not, you'll find the cost of making it so is likely to be massive and probably not cost-effective to do.

mjpl
26-07-2005, 13:16 PM
Usually a bad idea. There are requirements for head height as well as window to floor area requirements and elevation or angle of window to outside space.

More importantly is health and safety. Any tenant who wants to cause a problem will simply go to his doctor with a chest cough and prove that you are renting an uninhabitable property. Difficult to prove otherwise.

We had a bedroom in a basement and a student tried legal action against us to prove that he failed his degree due to the damp causing bronchitis. (There was no damp) We were advised that there was a strong possibility we would have lost this if the basement hadn't had a damp course warranty and certificate as well as passing the checks.