PDA

View Full Version : Routine changing of locks between tenants?

Ericthelobster
25-07-2005, 10:24 AM
Do most LLs reckon it is standard practice to change locks between tenants, and that they would always do so as a matter of routine, regardless of circumstances (ie, not just when they have evicted the 'tenants from hell')?

Jennifer_M
25-07-2005, 11:22 AM
Many landlords keep sets of locks so they can change them between tenants. If they have several properties they can rotate to locks between properties.

This helps security (if the old tenant had a set of spare keys) and will probably make the new tenants feel safer.

juliet2002
25-07-2005, 11:56 AM
Do most LLs reckon it is standard practice to change locks between tenants, and that they would always do so as a matter of routine, regardless of circumstances (ie, not just when they have evicted the 'tenants from hell')?
How well put ... we had three sets of tenants over six years with no trouble and did not feel it necessary to change locks each time. When the last lot refused to return their keys, however, we were obliged to.

Juliet

MrWoof
25-07-2005, 16:30 PM
I would say replace the locks after each tenant, I've only had a problem once, after my only eviction, someone tried to gain access at 3am using a key. That said, when you move, Royal Mail has a habit of delivering your post to your old address even after redirection is put in and if you are waiting for important post and you have a key to your old house and the new tenant is at work, thats temptation.