PDA

View Full Version : Mailbox keys not delivered - options available?

Joe_Rippel
04-06-2007, 17:06 PM
I have recently rented an apartment through a letting agent who is also managing the property. While I have been given keys to access the apartment, the mailbox keys have not been handed over to me. I have been requesting the agent, over the last 10 days, to help me get the keys to mailbox who now tells me that the landlord is not responding to calls and that the easiest way out is for me to have the lock on the mailbox changed and that it might cost me £100. Obviously, I would not want to spend that amount if I have any other options available - can someone please tell me what I should do now?

J4L
04-06-2007, 17:37 PM
Hi Joe,
This is down to the agent really who manages the property. They will always have contact details for the LL. Now maybe the LL is away for a fortnight so be a little patient with them but get onto the agent about this again.
The LA should have a clause in their contract with the LL that they can authorise repairs/maintenance on a property up to a certain fixed rate. I can't imagine it would be set much lower than around £250 so they can authorise this without the need for the LL's permission i'd have thought. Surely this issue comes under the 'maintenance' side of things.
In the meantime try and catch the postman and explain the situation and see if you can arrange an alternative drop off point until this is sorted.

Ericthelobster
04-06-2007, 19:21 PM
While I have been given keys to access the apartment, the mailbox keys have not been handed over to me. I have been requesting the agent, over the last 10 days, to help me get the keys to mailbox who now tells me that the landlord is not responding to calls and that the easiest way out is for me to have the lock on the mailbox changed and that it might cost me £100.Do you mean to say that you potentially have mail in this mailbox addressed to you which you cannot retrieve, and/or that you are unable to have mail delivered at all? To be honest if it's either if those scenarios I would regard the situation as totally unreasonable and it should have been resolved within a couple of days of moving in, let alone 10 days. I would give the agent 2 days in writing (hand deliver if poss; otherwise make it 3 days?) to sort it, and say that if not you will organise it yourself and deduct the cost from your next rent payment. If this is not a 'critical' problem then write the same letter but give them a bit longer.