PDA

View Full Version : Fire regs on a private property let

TheInkMonitor
04-06-2007, 12:36 PM
If I let my furnished house out privately am I obliged to replace all the furniture that is not flame retardant?

Paragon
04-06-2007, 13:11 PM
Yes, it is a legal requirement for soft furnishings.

jghomer
04-06-2007, 13:34 PM
And think carefully whether you actually want to let it furnished if you've got to go to the trouble of replacing everything.......

Not saying that furnished is a headache but it's certainly lots more things to get stolen, broken & vandalised, and now that we have the good old TDS making the decisions about the deposits it seems we may be finding many more unfurnished tenancies!

Paragon
04-06-2007, 13:47 PM
Totally agree with JG.

Bel
04-06-2007, 14:55 PM
If this is the first time you have let your property and you intend to live in it afterwards (eg you have year out in a foreign country with your job); you may be perceived as not renting for profit and the fire furnishing regs need not apply as you are "not supplying in the course of business".

If it is to be a regular occurance, or you will be renting to more than 2 unrelated people, you must comply.

Paragon
04-06-2007, 15:33 PM
If this is the first time you have let your property and you intend to live in it afterwards (eg you have year out in a foreign country with your job); you may be perceived as not renting for profit and the fire furnishing regs need not apply as you are "not supplying in the course of business".

If it is to be a regular occurance, or you will be renting to more than 2 unrelated people, you must comply.

Good point, Bel. I believe the DTI took this view. Did they give a time restriction of any kind e.g. rent 1 yr., 5 yrs.?

TheInkMonitor
04-06-2007, 17:22 PM
Thank you everyone for those points, although there does seem to be a grey area.

The furniture I will be leaving is of no consequence (although the house will be painted inside throughout and carpeted right through with all new) and the let should be for no longer than six months, when I hope then to either move back in or sell the property.

I don’t think I can justify replacing all the beds and three-piece suite, which are definitely not flame retardant – especially with the picture that “jghomer” has painted. You’ve put me right off now! ;>)

Perhaps I should let it out unfurnished but as the new carpets would be my main concern and the furniture irrelevant, can anyone offer me any further advice please?

jghomer
04-06-2007, 18:24 PM
Based on my own experience of carpets getting stained, torn, matted with pet hairs (but we never had a dog mr landlord!!), stolen (yes!) and cigarette burned, I took a decision 3 years ago to stick strictly to laminate floors for the receptions as they get the most wear and tear. It's a little more expensive but loads more hard wearing and it has saved me an absolute fortune in replacing carpets!! I've not had to replace any laminate floor yet but carpets seemed to need replacing every 18 months! And people generally love it too as it's got a very clean & fresh feel to it. I then lino the kitchen & bathroom, and carpet the bedrooms in cheapish carpet but use underlay which reduces the flattening/worn look that can develop quickly with heavy use. But hey that's just my take on it :-)

Paragon
04-06-2007, 18:24 PM
Could you wait to replace the carpets until you returned or is that not feasible? If you do want to replace them now, do NOT put in light coloured ones.

jghomer
04-06-2007, 18:58 PM
Mr Paragons right. Try and stick with what you've got. Professional carpet cleaners can work wonders. Treat yourself when you return!