PDA

View Full Version : CRB Police checks??

J4L
03-06-2007, 17:59 PM
I thought it would be good to ask people's views on this generally.
It's not something that we've looked into 'fully' as yet but are in the process of.

Does anyone see the possibility of agents and Landlords being able to police check a tenant?
Does anyone see the need to do so?
Does anybody think it would help in making an informed decision about giving a tenancy out?
Are there people who have suggested this before.
Does anyone think that by police checking someone it imposes on their human rights?

MDM
03-06-2007, 18:36 PM
expensive
slow
unlikely
would probably contravene human rights legislation
unlikely to pick up bad tenants whose wrongs are more civil/credit related than criminal

Some tenants may have had a CRB check done as part of their employment (e.g. prison officers), but the document is the property of the person to whom it relates and while employers (e.g. schools) are allowed to see the document they are not allowed to keep a copy of it or record any details from it. A tenant with a CRB check might be willing to show it, but might also be affronted that a landlord should ask for one.

So, to answer your original questions in order, no, no, no, yes.

jeffrey
03-06-2007, 18:44 PM
Main problem would be the delay. Checking procedure is known to be very slow and, on occasions, unreliable too.

mazco
03-06-2007, 19:00 PM
You can only apply for a CRB check if the person concerned is going to be working closely with children, young people or vulnerable adults. So the answer to your question is categorically "NO".
Sorry. It sounds like a good idea but CRB have very strict rules. Not just about who you get info on but who can apply. You have to go through a registered organisation to get them done even if they fulfill the above criteria. There are then very strict rules as to how you can use the check.
I carry out CRB checks for children's workers in our Church so I have experience of this.

MDM
03-06-2007, 19:13 PM
“The role of the Criminal Records Bureau is to reduce the risk of abuse by ensuring that those who are unsuitable are not able to work with children and vulnerable adults”
The Home Secretary

taken from the CRB website - unless landlords are vulnerable adults, looks like we're out of luck

DianeB
03-06-2007, 19:45 PM
I agree with posters, replies can take weeks, and then they can get thrown back at you for simple mistakes like not using black ink or signing a name marginally outside the box.

J4L
03-06-2007, 20:06 PM
Thanks for all the replies.
I understand that yes it is a little expensive, and slow in arriving.
The comment about it only being available for the person to see and not an 'employer' is not strictly true as the company performing the check DOES also get a copy which they can keep for 6 months before destroying. (data protection rules)
I am a registered body of the CRB (separate business) and yes we perform these checks on people who are going to be looking after 'vulnerable adults' as was suggested. We use these checks as an 'employment decision tool'.

Personally I think it would be a great idea to be able to perform such checks on prospective tenants because I wouldn't want a convicted drug dealer or an arsonist living in my house.
Anybody have any thoughts or suggestions as to how we as landlords would be able to prevent such happenings?

J4L
04-06-2007, 06:18 AM
I'm unsure of this wickerman but I'm looking into it as we speak.
I had dabbled with the idea of putting something like this on the application form but can't find anything that says it's ok or not to do.

jeffrey
04-06-2007, 09:11 AM
OR what about a Tenancy clause, eg "T agrees and declares that he has no criminal convictions (including any which are spent or undisclosable)".
If it turns out that there are some, T would be in breach of clause, so ground 12 would apply.

DianeB
04-06-2007, 09:57 AM
I suppose you could only let to people who work in a business where you know they would need to have been CRB'd, ie teachers but that would restrict you and is probably something-ist (professionist/jobist??)

J4L
04-06-2007, 15:09 PM
Loving the debate here.

Jeffery, good idea that one.

At the end of the day if someone's going to work for me I can give them notice within their probationery period. Only a week as a matter of course dependant on their contract but still the longest It would take to sack someone would be a month. And all you'd have to do is write one notice letter. You can decide whether to let them go earlier if you wish.
However, trying to get rid of a tenant is much much harder as you all know.

DianeB
04-06-2007, 16:42 PM
I think the technical term for that is:

"Iamnarrowingmytargetmarkettoariduclousdegreeandwil lprobablyhavehugevoidsandthehousewilleventuallyget reposessed-ist"

Thank you Wickerman. I knew there was a word but could not quite put my finger on it!

PS I bet you can say that long word in Mary Poppins as well.