PDA

View Full Version : crack in bathroom sink

nicolareynolds19@yahoo.co
02-06-2007, 07:56 AM
Tenant has reported hairline crack in bathroom sink. Is this the tenants responsibility? Thanks

Colincbayley
02-06-2007, 08:59 AM
That would depend on the cause of the crack, if it was there before the tenancy agreement and weather it is noted on the inventory.

If it is clear that the tenant has dropped something into the sink that has caused damage, and you have a full inventory, then this will be down to the tenant.

justaboutsane
02-06-2007, 09:56 AM
Environmental Health ALWAYS say that its down to the LL to get the work done and then depending on the cause of the damage you can then reclaim it bck from the tenant.

DianeB
02-06-2007, 15:38 PM
Has the sink been put in very recently? If so, it could be down to a manufacturing fault and you should be able to get a replacement.

P.Pilcher
02-06-2007, 22:44 PM
Although it is easy to blame tenants for such damage, it is a fact that due to the stresses introduced during manufacture, porcelain items of this nature can crack at any time for absolutely no reason.
Once when living in my first maisonnette many years ago I was awoken at about 3:00 am by a steady dripping sound. I went to investigate and in my bathroom found the carpet sodden: the 10 year old W.C. cistern had developed a crack from top to bottom. I turned the water off, flushed the loo and went back to bed. The following morning I acquired and fitted a new cistern. Job done.
As a result, I always turn my water off at the mains when I leave my property for more than 24 hours, and it is a condition in all my AST's that my tenants do likewise. I hate to think of the damage that in this instance could have occurred to my underneath neighbour's ceiling if I had been on holiday when the cistern had cracked and the water had remained on.

P.P.

Bathroom Sinks
16-06-2007, 20:09 PM
Hi,

It is better you ask the tenant directly about the crack in the Bathroom Sink before blamming them. :)

Regards,

Bathroom Sinks

Brokenbog Sam
20-06-2007, 08:56 AM
Apologies for jumping in to this forum - I am not a landlord but a supplier of replacement bathroomware. Our newly revamped website is called www.brokenbog.com which has colourcharts and enquiry forms to help identify exactly the type of basin/bath/WC/etc required, and we can normally supply an ideal replacement from stock or at very short notice. No need to replace the whole bathroom suite because the sink is cracked - just email a photo of the item required and we'll do our best to come up with a perfect match.
That's the advert over - hope we can be of help!
Sam Powell.