PDA

View Full Version : Police break in /damage fixings.

rks
31-05-2007, 14:38 PM
Hi , had bad news today ...all i needed, police broke in to my rented house ,
causing damage to lock on front door damage nad to 4 fire doors, the person they were looking for left almost 2months ago without notification. Apparrentley so police tell me they had a warrant and had seen th eperson recently going in and out of house ??? maybe he had cut a spare front door key i don't know , now having to change /repair /replace doors , very expensive . Where do i satnd please if anyone knows as to claim back damage caused ? Police are saying they were within there rights ?? but if they did not arrest anyone nor find the person living there surely i have a case? Police officer told me i will have to submit a claim with receipts and they will consider it !

jeffrey
31-05-2007, 14:47 PM
Police are obliged to compensate you, so make a claim with receipts.
Also tell your insurer. It may be able to pay you up front and take over your claim ("subrogation").

rks
31-05-2007, 14:48 PM
hi thank's fore info , tried my insurance , they did not want to know , they said it was malicous damage so not covered , I do hope your right , ta

johnboy
31-05-2007, 15:26 PM
if the police wont pay go to the small claims court bet they wont defend it

jeffrey
31-05-2007, 15:53 PM
hi thank's fore info , tried my insurance , they did not want to know , they said it was malicous damage so not covered , I do hope your right , ta

Do you have legal expenses cover attached to an insurance policy for the building, its contents, or even your car? If so, that may be another "free" avenue to investigate.

rks
31-05-2007, 16:33 PM
hi , i dont have legal cover attached to buildings ins but do have for car ins , but whats that got to do with this claim , ie legal cover for car , please ?
As i need to get this rectified urgently im going to hvae to cough up and then submit receipts for work ect , give them 14 days to pay , is that reasonable?
then submit claim to samll claims court ?

rks
02-06-2007, 12:00 PM
jeffory could you please elaborate on " do i have legal cover on car insurace"
just wondering how that@ going to help thank s. Just had some quotes around £400 pounds labour plus cost of fire doors so approx 700 pounds !
my tenants are not at all happy , thier rooms insecure , chippies too busy for 2-3 weeks !

Ericthelobster
02-06-2007, 14:57 PM
my tenants are not at all happy , thier rooms insecure , chippies too busy for 2-3 weeks !Don't the police have some obligation to leave premises in a secure state when they smash them up, especially when they were in the wrong? I though they employed emergency joiners etc to do this sort of stuff.

jeffrey
03-06-2007, 17:59 PM
jeffory could you please elaborate on " do i have legal cover on car insurace"
just wondering how that@ going to help thank s. Just had some quotes around £400 pounds labour plus cost of fire doors so approx 700 pounds !
my tenants are not at all happy , thier rooms insecure , chippies too busy for 2-3 weeks !

Some full cover insurance policies (house, car, etc.) have - as an optional extra - the availability of legal expenses insurance for about £20 to £25 p.a.; very good value for money. If there is such cover, the policyholder MUST consult the insurer before doing anything about a case involving a potential claim.