PDA

View Full Version : punishment for landlord

welshgc
31-05-2007, 12:30 PM
what sort of punishment do courts normally issue against land lords who dont do the 12monthly corgi boiler inspection. (ive seen its a criminal offence but dont know much more)

Colincbayley
31-05-2007, 12:41 PM
Anything from a slap on the wrist, a fine or even prison.

The important thing with a gas cert is not the cert ( or lack of it ) it is to make sure that the gas equipment is safe.

The 'Punishment' for a tenant can range from nothing to death !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

welshgc
31-05-2007, 13:50 PM
thanks. the boiler in this case is over 30 years old and when a plumber came round to replace the motor for the central heating he refused to do any more work on the system as it was in urgent need of a complete replacement.

P.Pilcher
31-05-2007, 14:30 PM
If you don't have a valid gas safety certificate then nothing much will happen unless the tenant decides to complain to the local environmental health office who will insist that you get one. If however the installation is unsafe and as a result the tenant or their friends or family suffer the effects of, say, carbon monoxide poisoning, then you can expect the book to be thrown at you including the possibility of a prison term because there was no gas safety certificate in force. Remember that as a landlord, you are worth suing and your tenants can get free legal assistance - you can't.

I nearly got caught out this way: My first BTL purchase came complete with tenant. It contained two gas fires, a bedroom one and the main one in the livingroom. When I inspected the property with a view to purchasing same said tenant complained about the damp. I couldn't see or smell any. As she knew nothing about a Corgi certificate, I sent in my newly appointed "tame" Corgi gas man shortly after purchase was completed. He condemned the bedroom gas fire as it came from the arc and disconnected it. Then he found a huge gas leak on the main fire which he managed to fix and the Corgi certificate was then forthcoming.
"Mrs. Smith, when did you last have your gas fires checked?"
"Oh, I've been here for six years dear, but I've never had anyone around like your man before."
The "damp smell" has now disappeared and Mrs Smith tells me she no longer feels so sleepy when watching her TV in the winter months.

Ouch!

P.P.