PDA

View Full Version : Do I still need Landlords cert for newly installed gas boiler?

Attention to detal
31-05-2007, 06:29 AM
I've been having great difficulty getting a landlords certificate from my corgi registered plumber who recently installed a new boiler in a flat. I've got all the installation / commissioning details written up in the boiler manual but as yet, 2 months on, he has not sent me the landlords cert as promised.

Before I get formal with him I thought I'd check because maybe newly installed boilers don't need a cert until 12 months after installation?

On a second point, do I still need a landlords cert for a boiler under a british gas maintenance and service agreement that has been regularly serviced?

Many thanks

ATD

J4L
31-05-2007, 07:41 AM
I've been having great difficulty getting a landlords certificate from my corgi registered plumber who recently installed a new boiler in a flat. I've got all the installation / commissioning details written up in the boiler manual but as yet, 2 months on, he has not sent me the landlords cert as promised.

Before I get formal with him I thought I'd check because maybe newly installed boilers don't need a cert until 12 months after installation?

On a second point, do I still need a landlords cert for a boiler under a british gas maintenance and service agreement that has been regularly serviced?

Many thanks

ATD

You don't need a cert on the new boiler as you say for 12 months of the installation, however if he tested other things like a fire or any other things that were not new then yes you do need a cert.
I'm sure that the boiler would be 'covered' if it is maintained under a service agreement but i'm almost positive that you would still need a certificate to state this.
I'm sure a real expert will be in soon to clarify this for you.

Ericthelobster
31-05-2007, 08:55 AM
You don't need a cert on the new boiler as you say for 12 months of the installation, however if he tested other things like a fire or any other things that were not new then yes you do need a cert.
I'm sure that the boiler would be 'covered' if it is maintained under a service agreement but i'm almost positive that you would still need a certificate to state this.
I'm sure a real expert will be in soon to clarify this for you.I'm not a 'real expert' but for sure you need a landlord's certificate as well as a service contract - the two are totally separate.

Poppy35
31-05-2007, 09:21 AM
Eric is correct - a service contract is totally different to a Landlord's certificate.

Colincbayley
31-05-2007, 09:24 AM
A lanlords certificate is required for all gas appliances at a rental property, the only exception is for a new installation when the fitting cert will cover the first 12 months from the date of the installation.
( Be advised that if it is a new build property then the date is still from the date of installation and not from the date of purchase )

Attention to detal
31-05-2007, 09:31 AM
Many thanks for replies.

I guess that because during the installation of the new boiler he checked the capping off of a gas pipe (due to electric hob now installed) that I will need a landlords cert just to cover this, as it is not related to a new installation.

Or hang on - do I? The plumber did say that in the course of commissioning the boiler it would in fact test all gas work in the flat. Does a capped off pipe need a cert?

Colincbayley
31-05-2007, 12:06 PM
Many thanks for replies.

I guess that because during the installation of the new boiler he checked the capping off of a gas pipe (due to electric hob now installed) that I will need a landlords cert just to cover this, as it is not related to a new installation.

Or hang on - do I? The plumber did say that in the course of commissioning the boiler it would in fact test all gas work in the flat. Does a capped off pipe need a cert?

You do not need a cert for a capped off pipe, only for boilers, gas fires or the like.

The installation cert for the boiler will have the precise same details on it as a landlords cert ( I went into all this at the start of the year when I had a propety built )

As Wickerman says, there is no harm in getting a landlords cert done for the sake of 50 quid, but you have no legal requirement to do so as the installation cert is all you need for the first 12 months.

If however, you have a gas fire or cooker at the property, then you will need to get a landlords certificate from a CORGI engineer.

Attention to detal
31-05-2007, 13:29 PM
OK thanks for info. I think I am OK then on the basis that it's a new installation, and in the process of installation any problems with the capped off cooker hob gas pipe would have been spotted.

Now I've just got to chase him for the receipt, grrrrr......

Ericthelobster
31-05-2007, 17:42 PM
As part of the installation and commissioning he/she would have had to have done a drop test which would have shown a huge leak if the pipe was not capped off. Just to play devil's advocate...

Suppose the individual who removed the old gas oven capped off the supply under the worktop using a soldered fitting (ie the usual way) but having put the fitting on with a dollop of flux, then forgot to apply the solder and actually seal the pipe off. Such a "joint" could well be pass the plumber's drop test, and would apparently be sealed for many months... until such time as the flux dries out and it starts leaking gas. (this is one reason why CORGIs hate certifying other people's work, eg DIYers!)

Now, if the engineer wasn't aware of an old gas fitting in the kitchen, there's no reason why he should specifically look for it and check it. So if the above failure happened, with catastrophic consequences, it would be the LL who would be in deep do-do. If a landlord's certificate had been issued, then I would suggest the LL would be in the clear as the certifier would specifically be responsible for checking the whole property.

Attention to detal
01-06-2007, 08:49 AM
Luckily I know the cap was a compression joint and I could see the white tape showing so I'm confident of the seal. I was more concerned if I needed a specific landlords cert for this work, but I'm happy now it's covered by the boiler commissioning.

Regards
ATD