PDA

View Full Version : Landlords Warned Of Drugs Den Tenants

DianeB
29-05-2007, 20:26 PM
I read the following article in my local newspaper:

Landlords are being warned to be on their guard against their properties being used as drugs dens.

Police have raided or discovered a string of properties, most of them rented, across south Essex in recent months being used as cannabis factories....

...In a bid to clamp down on the menace, police are handing out leaflets to letting agents, private landlords and councils.

"These factories pose a threat to anyone in the surrounding area due to the serious fire and safety hazards. The high volume of electricity and water required to grow these plants can be a lethal combination and the high-density sodium lamps can produce noxious gases to add to the deadly environment. Some growers have been known to cut into the main electricity supply before extending cabling which is prone to overheating."

My first thought was "How would we find out if we are not allowed to interfere with our tenants right to live peacefully?"

My second thought was "Will this create another tax on the hapless landlord depending on what Class of drug is produced?"

http://www.clicksmilies.com/s1106/cool/cool-smiley-027.gif

P.Pilcher
29-05-2007, 23:26 PM
Don't forget that a prudent landlord will inspect his properties from time to time or establish by other means that his tenants are behaving in a "tenant like" manner. If reasonable requests for permission to visit are repeated ly refused or ignored, then there is justified cause to use a section 21 notice to get them out as soon as possible.

P.P.

Uncle Fester
30-05-2007, 07:20 AM
These Dens are on the Rise and so are Massage Parlors/Brothels!!!

Paragon
30-05-2007, 08:09 AM

Of course they're on the rise - police in my area aren't taking any calls for the next 4 weeks while they are out checking that every pub, shop, warehouse etc has a No Smoking sign.

jeffrey
30-05-2007, 08:56 AM

Yes, but remember that a massage parlour is not illegal. Some of the workers there tend to offer additional services (and even these aren't illegal).

justaboutsane
30-05-2007, 09:01 AM
My understanding of the Brothel Laws are that no more than 2 girls can work together and noone must be in charge!! Everything above 2 girls or with a "madam" is classed as being illegal! ... We have had one open at the end of our street... no trouble as yet and they have been there 3 months!

Uncle Fester
30-05-2007, 12:52 PM
police in my area aren't taking any calls for the next 4 weeks while they are out checking that every pub, shop, warehouse etc has a No Smoking sign.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but would that not be Environmental Health's job to enforce that? :confused:

Hillaryd
30-05-2007, 13:11 PM
I was advised to put a clause in my contract that allowed me to give 24 hours notice to view the property; and I tend to visit every couple of months or so for 10 mins, just to check everything is ok.

Just my 2 cents

Beeber
30-05-2007, 16:28 PM
My 2 Cents is a reminder that recently raided Cannabis factories have been booby-trapped to try and kill those entering the premises.

"Drug dealers wire up the mains electricity to the doors and windows to keep rival gangs out and to protect their cannabis plants from being seized."

http://www.dailyecho.co.uk/display.var.1417898.0.cannabis_boobytrap_warning.p hp

DianeB
30-05-2007, 22:31 PM
My 2 Cents is a reminder that recently raided Cannabis factories have been booby-trapped to try and kill those entering the premises.

"Drug dealers wire up the mains electricity to the doors and windows to keep rival gangs out and to protect their cannabis plants from being seized."

http://www.dailyecho.co.uk/display.var.1417898.0.cannabis_boobytrap_warning.p hp

That takes the whole thing to another level yet. Horrible.