PDA

View Full Version : Defective fridge/freezer- who should pay?

Colincbayley
24-05-2007, 09:11 AM
I had a tenant complain that the fridge/freezer was not working, I have had an engineer out, who said it needed defrosting ( it is a frost free fridge/freezer )

Bit of a grey area, but am I or the tenant liable for the cost of the engineer?

Paragon
24-05-2007, 09:19 AM
I had a tenant complain that the fridge/freezer was not working, I have had an engineer out, who said it needed defrosting ( it is a frost free fridge/freezer )

Bit of a grey area, but am I or the tenant liable for the cost of the engineer?

The tenant. Defrosting a fridge/freezer is one of life's necessities. If he/she can't do that, I'm glad he is not one of my employees.

P.Pilcher
24-05-2007, 11:39 AM
I hate to disagree, but if said fridge/freezer is a frost free one it should be defrosting itself automatically. This was a fault with the system and hopefully has been repaired by the engineer. The landlord is liable for this. However if it was caused by the tenant leaving the door open then (if you can prove it) the tenant should pay.

P.P.

Paragon
24-05-2007, 12:13 PM
I agree and disagree. How's that for being tactful!

I believe the engineer said that all it needed was defrosting - did he say it was a fault with the system?

This generally is due to the door being left open. If after the defrosting, it then remains frost free, you can reasonably be sure the door was left open.

Colincbayley
24-05-2007, 14:33 PM
It was only defrosting that was required. No other works carried out.

We are only talking about a 30 quid invoice, so nothing worth losing any sleep about. I'm going to send the invoice to the tenant and see how they take it.