PDA

View Full Version : Service/Maintenance/Protection Plans-recommendations?

Midnight Cowboy
23-05-2007, 19:54 PM
Hi all

I'm considering taking a service protection plan, like Coverheat (the one in this month's Landlord Zone newsletter).

Has anyone used Coverheat? They say they offer 24 hour nationwide coverage, but I've never heard of them - I assume they must subcontract to local tradesman.

Their offer is tempting tho, about a fiver a week not to get any calls re plumbing, electrics etc - sounds good to me!

Are there any alternatives I should consider (please don't suggest British Gas...!).

Any POVs, good or bad, are welcome - Cheers!

jeffrey
24-05-2007, 23:50 PM
Hi all

I'm considering taking a service protection plan, like Coverheat (the one in this month's Landlord Zone newsletter).

Has anyone used Coverheat? They say they offer 24 hour nationwide coverage, but I've never heard of them - I assume they must subcontract to local tradesman.

Their offer is tempting tho, about a fiver a week not to get any calls re plumbing, electrics etc - sounds good to me!

Are there any alternatives I should consider (please don't suggest British Gas...!).

I use Home Service GB, based in Walsall, @ £138 pa payable quarterly.
Covers gas, water, drains, and electricity. 24hr callout and a certain amount (3 hrs?) of work included.

Midnight Cowboy
29-05-2007, 09:28 AM
Thanks Jeffrey, although the three hours labour included seems quite small. The Coverheat package is about twice the price but does cover a few more things and (I don't think) has a limit of amount of work included.

Does anyone have experience of Coverheat?

Autum
28-06-2007, 17:14 PM
I recently purchased Cover Heat’s Property Protection Plan after reading the article. I was with British Gas “Home Care 400” plan but it’s expensive and I’ve not been that pleased with BG for a little while now so when I saw the article, I decided to change.

I took the extras as well (plumbing, drains, electrics etc.) and for £285 for the year, I could make one phone call and it would be dealt with. They carried out the inspection on the date they said they would (take note BG) and only a week or so later, my tenant phoned to say there was no electric supply in part of the property. I called Cover Heat (and spoke to a real human being within three rings!) who sent someone the same day and fixed the problem there and then. No fuss, no bother, no excess.

I’m impressed with the level of service I have received from Cover Heat and have no hesitation in recommending them. Keep up the good work!

Roger_S
27-04-2008, 16:11 PM
I've got the landlord protection for boiler, heating and drains. V. Good plan IMO as I work abroad and it allows my tenants to call them directly if there is a problem and includes the annual safety check.

When I last spoke to them, they told me that they had to call CoverHeat out 3 times in he last 4 months with 3 different problems and, on each occasion, it was all sorted F.O.C. under the terms of my policy. :)

Like for like, I have yet to find anyone who offers the same level of cover for less.

Lexy
22-05-2008, 17:50 PM
Hmmm, I'm not sure about them. I took out cover with them in January as they seemed to be good value. However, when I needed them to attend they said someone would call me back to discuss details. Unfortunately they didn't, and despite me pestering them by phone several times, no-one called back (initial calls are handled by a call centre who claim to have no details of your records, apparently they are just there to pass your call on).

It took a letter threatening them with a report to Trading Standards and legal action for them to bother to contact me. Eventually, they attended and the issue was resolved. Or so I thought... I recently received a bill from them stating that although they attended to rectify a leak, they had to perform additional work whilst there due to bad plumbing (?), and they've billed me £210 for the 1.5 extra hours it alledgedly took.

I then had cause to call them out a second time, and experienced the same problems all over again.

Sorry to have waffled. I'll leave you all to draw your own conclusions.

Lexy
18-06-2008, 13:40 PM
Another update on Coverheat - I called them last Friday to attend for a leaking pipe, and still I haven't managed to get them to come out and fix it. You call, someone says they'll get someone to call you back, and they never do. I googled them, and found a few threads on www.moneysavingexpert.com with numerous dissatisfied Coverheat customers, all with the same negative experience (apart from the odd person with 1 or 2 posts, who pops up and says how wonderful Coverheat are. Funny that..). Steer well clear.

joserad13
08-07-2008, 12:05 PM
Avoid CoverHeat at all costs. They ignore e-mails. Phoning is a waste of time as person on other end of phone has no details of any accounts, so can not help, even though it's supposed to be a helpline. I took out cover with them in May. I now have no cover and am out of pocket for one years cover, as they do not refund any money even if they do not fulfill their obligations.

Another Gas Man
08-07-2008, 20:38 PM
Hi all

Before using COVERHEAT do your homework check other forums you will be suprised what you see is not what you get. ????

Midnight Cowboy
02-09-2008, 13:52 PM
I started this thread over a year ago, and each time I take a new tenant the question pops up in my mind. It's interesting, as Lexy said, that 2 posters both posted their first post singing the praises of Coverheat, but no-one else, on these boards or elsewhere, seems to have a good word to say about them.

I've been looking at Homeserve, but I'm still not sure if it's exactly what I want. I want an easy life - if anything breaks, I want my tenants to call them and not me!

Anyone have any recommendations?

TenantsLuvMe
02-09-2008, 17:14 PM
I started this thread over a year ago, and each time I take a new tenant the question pops up in my mind. It's interesting, as Lexy said, that 2 posters both posted their first post singing the praises of Coverheat, but no-one else, on these boards or elsewhere, seems to have a good word to say about them.

I've been looking at Homeserve, but I'm still not sure if it's exactly what I want. I want an easy life - if anything breaks, I want my tenants to call them and not me!

Anyone have any recommendations?

It depends on what state your properties and their facilities are in?

In all my years as a LL and property manager, I came to understand a few things;

a) Best to get your property(ies) into top condition and don't skimp on this.
b) Letting agents' management fees charged on properties in good or better condition is essentially money for old rope.
c) Find yourself a group of reliable & bonded workmen for various disciplines (a main one and a backup).
d) Take out the boiler cover plan from the manufacturer if available.

If your property is in good or better condition, you'll not need to attend to very much for electrics, gas, water and drains.
By the way, I swear by spirits of salt down the main drains (and on inside plumbing if a funnel is used), every 6-9 months.
Gets rid of all ills.

I found the most trouble and most headaches were with properties that were in average or worse condition and where the LL refused to make any investment to improve them.

I also found that service plans have appointment windows that require someone to be at the property for hours at a time and tenants will rarely take a morning/afternoon/day off work to be at home for something that isn't their responsibility or their fault - and then what happens when no-one shows up?

Lexy
03-09-2008, 09:21 AM
Interesting to see this thread reappear. I am still having issues with the gits at CoverHeat! They refused to attend the last callout stating that I owed them money (which I don't). I'm in the process of sending all the correspondence to Trading Standards. Ugh!

jeffrey
03-09-2008, 09:40 AM
Interesting to see this thread reappear. I am still having issues with the gits at CoverHeat! They refused to attend the last callout stating that I owed them money (which I don't). I'm in the process of sending all the correspondence to Trading Standards. Ugh!
So the heat is on (because it's not).

mind the gap
14-09-2008, 23:08 PM
We took out an option for 'emergency cover' which was part of our Lloyds TSB landlord's policy. It promised to cover us in the event of 'plumbing emergencies', including the breakdown of the 'primary heating system'. The cover included callout fee and up to three hours work by a Corgi engineer, but not parts. Fair enough, we thought.

The first (and only) time we tried to claim was when the wall mounted combi boiler boiler in one property broke down and started dripping over the kitchen. No hot water, no heating, lots of dripping. Winter. 6 degrees. Six medical students needing to shower before hospital placements.

Rang the helpline. Did the students have any babies? Were they disabled? Was it actually freezing? No to all of these. Then it wasn't an emergency. (These condiitons had not been specified in the policy). Finally spoke to Big Boss Man. Pointed out that dripping might flood kitchen. BBM eventually sends mechanic out. Mechanic takes front of boiler off, looks at boiler for an hour and a half, decides he doesn't know what is wrong with it and declares that he needs to consult a wiring diagram for that boiler. Tenant offers him access to Internet. He doesn't know how to use it. Decides he needs to bring someone more experienced back with him the next day.

Including his travelling time, we had already clocked up most of emergency cover. Gave up on company appointed by insurers, sent our own Corgi-registered gas fitter in. He fixed the problem in 30 minutes.

Cancelled cover.

karatepaul
26-09-2008, 15:30 PM
Do yourself a favour and treat yourself to b.gas, at least you will have no worries apart a few quid extra to pay, Coverheat are a nightmare, even their staff admit it, you will have nothing but problems mate, just like i am 6 months later. I paid the extra and went back to b.gas and they do what they say they will , the tenants phone them and i dont even have to know about it.we are all up for saving a few quid, but dont do Coverheat, they WILL sting you.

oaktree
26-09-2008, 16:06 PM
BG are expensive when compared to some of the other companies but on the other hand they do deliver the goods.

In nearly 20 years of being a letting agent I've seen and tried loads of them; the only constant is BG - they were there 20 years ago and they're still here now. IMHO they provide one of the best all round breakdown covers you can buy.

Not everyone will have a good story to tell about them but overall they come out on top