PDA

View Full Version : ex tennant owing money

ENOCAR
17-07-2005, 20:15 PM
One of my ex tennants (moved out about a year ago) owes me some money, when she left to move into a new property she wrote me a letter asking for a reference and said that she would pay the money back, and so i wrote her the reference, i also had her forwarding address and so when i had not seen any money being deposited into my account i called at her place and she said that her boyfriend and her were having problems with her money and could she pay me back in instalments and i agreed to this and asked that she write me a letter saying that she intended to do this, which she said she was going to do but i never heard back from her and so i called down again and posted a letter saying that i was still waiting for a reply and had not been aware of any transactions going into my bank, unfortunaly i have just found out that she is no longer living at this property but the person who is living there now knows where she is as he said he had redirected the letter to her, is there any way i can find out where she is living now?

thanks

oaktree
18-07-2005, 10:51 AM
How much does she owe you? more than £500? is so it may be worth pursueing her but if its for less then its probably not worth the cost. A tracing agent will track her down for you, average cost is about £35

IMHO it seems to me, by what you say, that she has little or no inclination to pay you and while you have been so laid back with her there has been no pressure on her to do so.

Paul_f
18-07-2005, 20:26 PM
Look! If the current tenant knows where your tenant has moved to then try asking her for the details. A bottle of decent wine or even a crisp fiver usually loosens tongues sufficiently!

Write (don't phone or make any other contact) to this charlatan saying that unless she coughs up within 7 days you will issue a County Court Summons against her for recovery together with your costs and interest (it mounts up)! Even if you can't collect it in the end it will ruin her creditworthyness for 4 years, but there are other ways and means of getting paid instead of getting laid!

Tootsie Roll
19-07-2005, 13:25 PM
Even if you can't collect it in the end it will ruin her creditworthyness for 4 years, but there are other ways and means of getting paid instead of getting laid!

Er - actually it's 6 years from date of original default.

davidjohnbutton
19-07-2005, 13:54 PM
Yer both wrong!!!

You have six years from the last contact with the tenant (when the cause of action arose) to issue a summons - any judgment will then remain on credit reference agencies files for the summons address for six full years from the date the judgment was entered UNLESS it is paid within 28 days in which case it is removed.

If the tenant makes any agreement or part payment, then the six year cause of action period clock starts again.