PDA

View Full Version : Is deposit per person or per property?

wing
17-07-2005, 11:47 AM
I moved into my flat a few months ago and my boyfriend wants to move in in the next month or two. I have paid the £450 deposit. I just want to know if the deposit I have paid is for the whole property or per person as if my boyfriend has to pay the £450 as well he would not move in? He thinks the deposit should be for the whole property and all the letting agent needs to do is to add him onto the tenancy agreement. :confused:

MrShed
17-07-2005, 16:17 PM
Depends on your tenancy agreement most likely. How is the rent going to be split when he moves in? Will rent stay the same and you half it, or is rent being doubled(same each as you are paying now)? If its the first, then damage deposit shouldnt change, if 2nd then it should. I think!

MrWoof
17-07-2005, 20:03 PM
I moved into my flat a few months ago and my boyfriend wants to move in in the next month or two. I have paid the £450 deposit. I just want to know if the deposit I have paid is for the whole property or per person as if my boyfriend has to pay the £450 as well he would not move in? He thinks the deposit should be for the whole property and all the letting agent needs to do is to add him onto the tenancy agreement. :confused:Is your boyfriend moving in with your LL's permission? If not then you will probably be in breach of your tenancy agreement and liable for eviction. He can't be added to the agreement, you will need a new one. Whether he moves in with permission or a new agreement is drawn up the deposit should not come into it. The deposit is a surety which can be used by the LL to cover damages and unpaid rent, it is usually between one month's and six weeks rent.