PDA

View Full Version : Help with preparing an inventory for rooms I am renting out ...

vishy01234
21-05-2007, 19:59 PM
Hello,

I am renting out a 3 bed flat on an individual room basis - in this case what do I do when preparing an inventory for the communal areas? I was going to give each person an inventory of their room, but would it be appropriate to give them an inventory for the communal areas they will be sharing with the others?

As the tenant will just be renting a room, if they damage something in a communal area I want to be able to have some sort sort of inventory that I can point to? But I am just not sure how to approach this ... do any of you have a suggestion?

Thanks.

choices
21-05-2007, 21:31 PM
When I did an inventory for a friend who has an HMO I did an inventory of the whole house that was shared, then the tenants own room, as they do not need to know what is in the others, so for 4 rooms you need 4 inventories, room 1 room 2 etc. I took photos of the house as a main and a couple of photos of the room the tenant rented.
Inventory is signed by tenant as normal
Would like to hear what others do, as this has been queried to me a couple of times since.......

vishy01234
22-05-2007, 11:55 AM
When I did an inventory for a friend who has an HMO I did an inventory of the whole house that was shared, then the tenants own room, as they do not need to know what is in the others, so for 4 rooms you need 4 inventories, room 1 room 2 etc. I took photos of the house as a main and a couple of photos of the room the tenant rented.
Inventory is signed by tenant as normal
Would like to hear what others do, as this has been queried to me a couple of times since.......

Hi Choices, thanks for your reply - it is much appreciated. I would very much like to hear what others do ...

As you suggested, I am planning on giving each tenant an inventory for all the communal areas in the house when they move in, and a separate copy of their room inventory, as well as taking photos and going through inventory with them before they move in ... that should be satisfactory you think?