PDA

View Full Version : TheStudentBond.com

jeffrey
21-05-2007, 15:07 PM
A client has forwarded to me brief details of this firm (http://www.thestudentbond.com) which eliminates deposit problem by offering a fixed-fee package @ £60 + VAT.
For that, it vets the student seeker of accommodation.
If approved, the student is covered by a Bond guaranteeing rent payment and no breaches of Tenancy.
If not approved, the fee is returned.

Please let me know if you've heard of this firm and whether you have good or bad feedback.

Paragon
21-05-2007, 15:47 PM
Company Details - TENANT ASSURE PLC
Registered No. 04246287

Address: LOCK KEEPERS COTTAGE
THE MARINA
HULL
EAST YORKSHIRE
HU1 1UH
Telephone Number: Click here for telephone numbers
Type: Public limited with share capital
Incorporation Date: 04/07/2001
Status: Small unquoted company filing only a modified balance sheet
Last Accounts Filed: 31/07/2006
Last Accounts Analysed: 31/07/2006

jeffrey
21-05-2007, 15:57 PM
Yes. Apart from the data, do you know anything good or bad? Filing Company accounts promptly is at least a good sign!

Paragon
21-05-2007, 16:08 PM
No, nothing good nor bad. Looks like a fledgling subsidiary with a bright idea.
Risk/reward doesn't look too bad. £ 60 for three (3) months cover of rent. How much does a student who shares with others pay per month? Won't pay if covered by other insurance (oops. They say theirs is not insurance.) so the owner will have contents/building insurance at least in most cases.

Sportingdad
22-05-2007, 15:46 PM
It would appear they are not underwritten by any insurance company ( I phoned) so that they actually take it on the chin and chase the guarantor, can't see them doing this for £60 with students and paying out they are on a hiding to nothing.

jeffrey
22-05-2007, 16:20 PM
It would appear they are not underwritten by any insurance company ( I phoned) so that they actually take it on the chin and chase the guarantor, can't see them doing this for £60 with students and paying out they are on a hiding to nothing.

Maybe so- but threatening to sue penniless student's better-off mum and dad might yield results: rent arrears paid (whatever would the neighbours say?) and legal fees too.

J4L
22-05-2007, 18:52 PM
A client has forwarded to me brief details of this firm (http://www.thestudentbond.com) which eliminates deposit problem by offering a fixed-fee package @ £60 + VAT.
For that, it vets the student seeker of accommodation.
If approved, the student is covered by a Bond guaranteeing rent payment and no breaches of Tenancy.
If not approved, the fee is returned.

Please let me know if you've heard of this firm and whether you have good or bad feedback.

Can I ask what the difference is between this post and the one earlier that you questioned by asking whether the poster was a landlord or a plugger??
You know the post they've pulled now for some reason!!!!

jeffrey
24-05-2007, 23:59 PM
Can I ask what the difference is between this post and the one earlier that you questioned by asking whether the poster was a landlord or a plugger??
You know the post they've pulled now for some reason!!!!

Simple answer: I knew nothing about the firm, a client asked me for advice (unpaid), and I told them that I'd ask those who might have experience greater than mine.
I'm not plugging it- it might be a scam or it might be genuine- so I thought that my enquiry was reasonable; don't you?

J4L
25-05-2007, 05:50 AM
Simple answer: I knew nothing about the firm, a client asked me for advice (unpaid), and I told them that I'd ask those who might have experience greater than mine.
I'm not plugging it- it might be a scam or it might be genuine- so I thought that my enquiry was reasonable; don't you?

I agree with what your saying but this site was exactly the same type of site.
I'm just interested to see why they pulled the posts. Maybe it's because they advertise on that other landlord forum I don't know.

Just for everyone's information I actually clicked into the other link and have been conversing with them since. This seems a genuine site and they have been very helpful explaining how things actually work. I haven't tried them as yet but I'm going to soon so i'll let you all know.

J4L
25-05-2007, 05:55 AM
In the meantime i'm gonna ask the same question then
Does anyone know of this company or had any experiences with them

http://www.iguarantee.co.uk/

Simoncutting
25-05-2007, 09:35 AM
Dear Sirs or Madams
I have noted, with interest, the various comments about TheStudentBond.com. The concept/idea and the firm are mine. First, let me say that we are not a scam (as one member asked). Like many of you landlords (and as a landlord myself), I realised, back in mid 2006, the potential problems that TDP would bring and I sought to offer a solution for landlords and agents. The service we offer is that of comprehensive tenant vetting and the Student Bond is by way of endorsing that service. Our primary aim is to ensure that we do not expose landlords or agents to tenants who may become problems. The service we offer is straightforward. There is nothing clandestine or secretive about us and I welcome anyone to contact me directly if you have questions. Our phone number is on our website. We cannot be all things to all people but your main alternative is the TDP scheme. A word to the wise about that scheme - the Director of the Deposit Protection Service told me personally that, unless landlords/agents have detailed and professional inventories (even though they are not mandatory under the scheme) they will not be able to process any Dispute via the Dispute Resolution Service. So, please be aware of this. Sincerely/Simon Cutting

Sportingdad
25-05-2007, 10:38 AM
Could we pay extra and the whole bond be underwritten by Lloyds ?

Simoncutting
25-05-2007, 12:11 PM
Dear SportingDad
Thank you for your reply. Unfortunately, this isn't an option available at present but we are working on it.
Sincerely+:)

Paragon
25-05-2007, 13:08 PM
:) I'm sure it will perform better than my asbestos units!!

Simoncutting
26-05-2007, 11:43 AM
Dear Mr Wickerman
In response to your question/statement viz. inventories, I think you will find that the quality level of your inventories will be sufficient for the Dispute Resolution Service when they sit at a desk and determine who is right between the tenant and landlord. When I previously said that they require a 'professional' inventory, I did not mean that they need one done by an independent body (at least, it's not my understanding that they do). However, a large percentage of private landlords do not carry out inventories like you do and, given that the DRS will not be able to process a Dispute without such an inventory, I personally think that it is disgraceful that this point has not been made clear to landlords.
I do hope that this clarifies any aspect of my earlier comment that may have been misleading or confusing.
Sincerely+