PDA

View Full Version : Girlfriend and her friend moving in need help!

wormy73
19-05-2007, 01:12 AM
I've just bought a 2 bed flat and have agreed that my girlfriend and her friend can move in and rent the rooms from me.

I intend to charge my girlfriends friend rent for the room as she plans on staying at the flat for the next year and was going to get her to sign a tenant agreement/contract before she moves in(with a bond as well). Is this the right thing to do or does the fact that i will be living there as well change anything in relation to the type of agreement that needs to be set in place?

My g/f is also moving in but i was advised by a friend who works in law that it may be best to get her to sign a contract as well in order to ensure that there would be no confusion over who has contributed towards the mortgage so that no claim on her part could be made (i seriously doubt this would happen but better safe than sorry!).

What type of contract would be best in this instance so that no claim on the mortgage could be made but one that also covers me if the relationship did end and i wanted her to move out?

Sounds very cold and calculating but i really don't want to mess this up and for it to catch me out.

Thanks in advance,

Andrew

Ericthelobster
19-05-2007, 08:53 AM
I've just bought a 2 bed flat and have agreed that my girlfriend and her friend can move in and rent the rooms from me.The above is quite misleading actually, judging from what you wrote next - assuming the friend will have 1 bedroom and you and the GF will have the other?

The friend will be a "lodger", not a "tenant" (as you will be living there) - there's a clear distinction - and as such will have very few rights by law. You certainly don't want to be giving her a 6-month tenancy agreement, and it can be much more informal than that... if you search the archives of this forum you'll find more info.

As regards your other "lodger" and protecting your assets in a pre-nuptial sort of way - don't know I'm afraid, but I'm sure you're wise to consider it.