PDA

View Full Version : Any alternative suggestions to British Gas for gas/electrics/boiler maint cover ?

weststreet
18-05-2007, 13:02 PM
I want to get cover for boiler & gas fire. I'm going to be self-managing ( 150 miles away ) so want to set up 'call out' people, that tenant can call if something needs sorting. Per the BG website, both Homecare 400 and Homecare Flexi 400 seem to cover everything ( though I don't need drains ). Thing is I had a chat with the agent ( find tenant only ) and they said several of their landlords used B Gas and they were c**p. That they'd lost count of the number of times they didn't turn up. If this happened with my tenant I'm sure they'd get p****d off with me. So who do other people use ? Any recommendations ?

jeffrey
18-05-2007, 13:05 PM
I want to get cover for boiler & gas fire. I'm going to be self-managing ( 150 miles away ) so want to set up 'call out' people, that tenant can call if something needs sorting. Per the BG website, both Homecare 400 and Homecare Flexi 400 seem to cover everything ( though I don't need drains ). Thing is I had a chat with the agent ( find tenant only ) and they said several of their landlords used B Gas and they were c**p. That they'd lost count of the number of times they didn't turn up. If this happened with my tenant I'm sure they'd get p****d off with me. So who do other people use ? Any recommendations ?

I'm sure that this has been asked before.
Anyway, I use a firm called Home Service GB (or is it Home Service UK?)
It's based in West Midlands and is relatively reliable even out-of-hours.
It costs about £140 pa, payable by quarterly direct debit.

harrismo
18-05-2007, 13:40 PM
I use Landlord Care. Covers you for Gas, Electric, plumbing and drains, broken windows and vermin. All for £89 pa. Never had to make a claim yet though.

weststreet
18-05-2007, 13:41 PM
Thanks jeffrey, I'll check them out.

Really sorry if I'm asking stuff that's already been asked and answered.

weststreet
18-05-2007, 13:43 PM
harrismo thanks. Do you have a web link for them ?

Btw the let is central London.

jimk2
18-05-2007, 14:57 PM
harrismo thanks. Do you have a web link for them ?

Btw the let is central London.

I found it here

http://www.landlordcare.co.uk/apply/emergency.html

It's more of an insurance than a maintenance/breakdown contract.

Ericthelobster
18-05-2007, 18:31 PM
Thing is I had a chat with the agent ( find tenant only ) and they said several of their landlords used B Gas and they were c**p. That they'd lost count of the number of times they didn't turn up. If this happened with my tenant I'm sure they'd get p****d off with me.Not sure about that... I'd have thought if you tell the tenant you've organised a callout service for them (showing what a caring responsible landlord you are!) and give them the number to call (if that's allowed by BG?) then surely that diverts any 'blame' onto BG, not you, if they don't show?

J4L
18-05-2007, 18:49 PM
I think you are better using a local firm and negotiating your deal with them!

weststreet
18-05-2007, 20:46 PM
Thanks everyone.