PDA

View Full Version : Routine redecoration

tina v
15-07-2005, 11:06 AM
I let my house on an unfurnished basis as I am in tied accommodation. It has been occupied by the same tenant for the past 3.5 years and the issue of redecoration has cropped up. The Tenancy Agreement states that the tenant should not do any redecoration or painting of the property without my written consent but, alas, doesn't address the issue of responsibility for routine redecoration (I know, I know - what kind of fool am I? :o ).

Please don't beat me up over this as I have searched the threads but found nothing relevant. How do others deal with this please?

Jennifer_M
15-07-2005, 11:25 AM
It all depends on your requirements.

If you are happy for the tenant to do it themselves, you could let them do it as long as they check that you're happy with the colours etc.
You could also offer to pay for the paint.

If however you want to be sure it's done professionally to avoid paint splashing on other surfaces etc. you can't really ask the tenant to pay for it.

I'm not sure you legally have to redecorate but if you have a good tenant it would be a shame to lose him for a few hundred pounds of painting.

Poppy
15-07-2005, 13:03 PM
You appear to be indicating that you have had good tenants for the last 3.5 years. My first piece of advice is to certainly keep them happy.

Secondly, you must keep up the standard of your let property.

Negotiate dates and times with your tenants when to carry out the redecoration and stick to a short overall schedule of works to minimise disruption. If you're feeling particularly generous towards your tenants, maybe you will discuss the finish with them (simpler not to discuss it because it is your business after all).

dazalock
15-07-2005, 13:06 PM
It all depends on your requirements.

If you are happy for the tenant to do it themselves, you could let them do it as long as they check that you're happy with the colours etc.
You could also offer to pay for the paint.

Personally I would never do that again, I had a tenant who wanted to decorate, I said use neutral paint and I would pay for it, they left 2 months later leaving me with a dark blue room with a green border AND asked me to pay for the brushes and tools! Why do they want it painted, is it a mess or are they goths and want black? If its just "tired" I would invest in getting done properly.

tina v
16-07-2005, 22:07 PM
Why do they want it painted, is it a mess or are they goths and want black? If its just "tired" I would invest in getting done properly.

What seems to have prompted the request is a memo to increase the rent for the first time in two years by £30 pcm (!)................the house is very neutral in decor at present and when the tenant first moved in I did let her choose the colours for the three rooms that we were decorating at the time (the other rooms had all been decorated within 6 months of that). I suspect therefore that she fancies a change as it doesn't look tired in any way to me. Subsequently I've told her that I'll give the matter consideration in the autumn but, to be honest, if it's a 'want' rather than a 'need' then I think that responsibility for redecorating should be hers and not mine as should the responsibility for ensuring that the work is completed to the same high standard as the current finish. Unless of course that seems unreasonable?

Ericthelobster
17-07-2005, 18:11 PM
Personally I would never do that again, I had a tenant who wanted to decorate, I said use neutral paint and I would pay for it, they left 2 months later leaving me with a dark blue room with a green border AND asked me to pay for the brushes and tools!Ouch! So you should either buy the paint for them (preferably), or at the very least approve the specific choice of colour/paint they want to use...

One relevant tip I can usefully pass on... I recently decided that I needed to change the shabby bathroom in one of my properties as a tenant was about to quit; but in the event, after I'd bought the new suite and booked the plumber, she changed her mind and is staying on for a few more months. As it happens, she was just about to go on hols for a fortnight anyway, and was perfectly happy with letting me have the run of the place while she was away, to get the work done. Which is great for me, because when this tenant does leave, I won't have the worry of a rent void while I get the bathroom sorted (as I'd envisaged).

And I've made a mental note that next time I need to get work like that done, or redecorating, to find out when the tenant's going on holiday and whether they mind the work going on in their absence!