PDA

View Full Version : Have Your Say On HIPS!

PriceMyHome.co.uk
17-05-2007, 11:12 AM
Would love to know what people think about Home Information Packs! See poll!

jeffrey
17-05-2007, 14:19 PM
Would love to know what people think about Home Information Packs! See poll!

Sorry, but we're not allowed to use excessive profanities and four-lettered words on this Forum...

PriceMyHome.co.uk
17-05-2007, 15:06 PM
Sorry, but we're not allowed to use excessive profanities and four-lettered words on this Forum...

You're not a fan I take it then Jeffrey?? haha!

jeffrey
17-05-2007, 15:40 PM
Good job that they're not acronymised as Scheme for House Information Tabulation. Let's hope that the RICS head them off at the pass.
So far- "yes"=0%, "no"=100%.

Ericthelobster
17-05-2007, 18:32 PM
Define a 'positive effect on the housing market'! Do you mean - will it cause an overall increase in prices? Or more availability of property for first-time buyers? Or an improved buying/selling experience? etc?

I think it will certainly reduce the number of properties on the market - doesn't that mean it will increase demand?

But it's all total b******ks of course.

Yesterday's paper carried an article about the RICS mounting an 11th-hour legal challenge against it. http://property.timesonline.co.uk/tol/life_and_style/property/buying_and_selling/article1796108.ece

Anyone heard any more about this and when the outcome will be known?

PriceMyHome.co.uk
17-05-2007, 18:42 PM
I wonder is there anyone involved in the UK property market (excluding HIP suppliers!) that actually think HIPS are going to bring enough of a benefit to warrant the undoubted disruption they will cause?

Putting aside the short term problems they will cause, in the longer term can anyone dispute that 'no sale no fee' will be history & that the overall cost of moving is going to increase?!

PriceMyHome.co.uk
17-05-2007, 18:47 PM
Define a 'positive effect on the housing market'! Do you mean - will it cause an overall increase in prices? Or more availability of property for first-time buyers? Or an improved buying/selling experience? etc?

I think it will certainly reduce the number of properties on the market - doesn't that mean it will increase demand?

But it's all total b******ks of course.

Yesterday's paper carried an article about the RICS mounting an 11th-hour legal challenge against it. http://property.timesonline.co.uk/tol/life_and_style/property/buying_and_selling/article1796108.ece

Anyone heard any more about this and when the outcome will be known?

By positive effect I meant improving the buying/selling process without too many negative side affects - i.e. detering people from selling, falling prices, increasing cost of moving etc.

Sportingdad
17-05-2007, 21:57 PM
So if the costs are £300 to £700 ? and the agent gets fined £200 why can't someone who selling just sign a £200 indemnity to the Agent.

lawstudent
18-05-2007, 14:23 PM
I think the seller can get fined too. As for the effect on the housing market, it will reduce availability and movement, it will probably increase prices slightly, it will certainly increase the cost of moving ... and the energy performance certificate will provide no information of any value (except to all those people who buy their houses without going to look at them first)

jeffrey
18-05-2007, 14:30 PM
Perhaps Gordon will make HIPS abolition his first step towards public likeability?

jeffrey
18-05-2007, 14:30 PM
Perhaps Gordon will make HIPS abolition his first step towards public likeability?

Paragon
18-05-2007, 14:47 PM
The times had a good article today about HIPs. Mentioned two assessors giving different rating to the same house, and one recommending cavity wall insulation... for solid walls.

I bet he has a mate who will do it for cash - and, then, you will get the highest rating possible.

Paragon
18-05-2007, 14:49 PM
Do these inspectors need personal liability insurance? Just thinking about potential damage to my Monets. (Yes, that's plural)

lawstudent
18-05-2007, 15:37 PM
Do these inspectors need personal liability insurance? Just thinking about potential damage to my Monets. (Yes, that's plural)
They'll probably recommend scraping the paint off those and replacing it with polystyrene foam

mountie
18-05-2007, 16:25 PM
The Govt's claim to speed up the buying process has now got lost under the Green agenda. There are too many other factors involved with buying and selling for the HIP to create a quick fix.

The market will experience a bit of a stall as vendors get used to the new regs. Trading Standards can fine the 'responsible person' (vendor or agent) £200 every time a set of details are sent to a prospective buyer. It is not a one-off £200 fine but could potentially be a series of £200 fines. Quite how they will police it is anyone's guess.

I will be selling a complete HIP for £350 including VAT. HCR's should be an extra £250.

DEA's and HI's will all carry PII and every HIP will be kept on file for up to 6 years in case of claims. I have my own opinion of DEA and HI training courses and admission criteria that can't be expressed here!

J4L
18-05-2007, 19:28 PM
16 No's and 1 AYE!!!
Intersting this!
Although it would be nice to get more opinions!