View Full Version : Electrical Safety - what to check?

14-07-2005, 14:03 PM
I've spoken to severla electricians to get quotes for the electrical equivalent of a Gas Safety Certificate. Some say they just need to do PAT tests on anything we leave, others say they just do a visual check of fuses/circuit breakers, others say both. Obviously this means varying prices quoted.

I spoke to the local authority building control dept. and they didn't even know :mad:

So, what should I actually ask for, and can anyone recommend a decent electrician in the South West London area?

Many thanks.

14-07-2005, 14:20 PM
I believe you would ask for a NICEIC certificate for the property.

14-07-2005, 14:23 PM
I didnt think there was a requirement to do any checks at all, only work covered by Part P from 1 January 2005 needs a certificate.

14-07-2005, 14:32 PM
Thanks for the quick responses.
There is no legal requirement, but I have read that it would show "due diligence" to get one in case something went wrong, and as I'd like to try to be a diligent landlord, I want to get one ;)

14-07-2005, 14:46 PM
Then its upto you what level you goto, as there are no specific requirements, you must judge how diligent you want to be, do you just get a pat test or do you have a complete re-wire with full certification, the choice is yours.

14-07-2005, 20:44 PM
It is recommended that periodic inspection and testing is carried out:

• for tenanted properties at each change of occupancy

• at least every 10 years for a domestic installation

• at least every 5 years for a commercial installation.

The Landlords and Tenant Act 1995 requires landlords of properties with short leases to keep the electrical installations in repair and proper working order. The NICEIC recommends landlords arrange for periodic inspection and testing to be carried out by an Approved Contractor at the intervals shown above.

22-07-2005, 17:57 PM
As red40 has mentioned, you would want a periodic inspection report to be carried out by an approved contractor.
The 5 years and 10 years are maximum recommended intervals given to us by the IEE, but can be reduce at the inspectors discretion. we recommend 5 years for let domestic property, with annual visual safety checks between full inspections. The 'Duty of care' legally imposed on you can go bad if a fault was to develop had you not had an inspection done. however, an inspection will not prevent any such fault, but rather show that you have taken steps through 'due dilligence' to assure the system has been checked, and was safe at that time. A periodic inspection report, is the only formally recognised method of achieving this, and some would say equivelant to a gas cert, although it is not a cert.
This would show you have let the property in a safe condition, and would fulfill your obligations under your duty of care. I hope this helps you get your head round it, as there is no law which says you need an electrical check, but you are responsible to let the property in a safe condition, and the text on official documents takes you round the houses. This information is a direct reflextion of the advise provided to us by the NICEIC technical helpdesk for approved contractors.

23-07-2005, 11:00 AM
Contact gas-elec a large nationwide company who will be happy to talk you through it. very reasonable prices too

24-07-2005, 21:13 PM
Elektratek has pretty well explained what a periodic inspection report is and why you might want one.

PAT (portable appliance testing) is something different. Again there is no legal obligation to have them done, but as with the mains electrics you have a general duty of care to make sure any appliances you provide are safe. The best way to do that is to have PAT tests done on any electrical applicances you provide. Generally it is recommended that these are carried out annually.

17-08-2005, 07:17 AM
Richie p, there are some articles on our website you may find useful... email us if you have further questions.