PDA

View Full Version : Dispute over deposit

Nitnat
15-05-2007, 19:16 PM
My tenant didn't pay his last month's rent so I used his deposit for this. Also on checkout the carpets were found to be stained. Carpet cleaners were called in which the tenant agreed to pay. However, the stains could not be removed. Quotes were obtained to replace the carpets but the tenant is only offering £300 of the full £590. There is a report from the cleaners stating that the carpets are damaged beyond repair and I have inventory photo's showing the state of the carpets on checkin (obviously without stains). The tenants state that the stains were not that bad. I already have another tenant who has moved in.

Would I be better off accepting this offer or taking them to small claims court? Would I be likely to pay more costs on court? Do I have a chance of losing? If I win, is the tenant likely to pay even more than the full cost of replacement?

Thanks

Paragon
15-05-2007, 21:32 PM
My tenant didn't pay his last month's rent so I used his deposit for this. Also on checkout the carpets were found to be stained. Carpet cleaners were called in which the tenant agreed to pay. However, the stains could not be removed. Quotes were obtained to replace the carpets but the tenant is only offering £300 of the full £590. There is a report from the cleaners stating that the carpets are damaged beyond repair and I have inventory photo's showing the state of the carpets on checkin (obviously without stains). The tenants state that the stains were not that bad. I already have another tenant who has moved in.

Would I be better off accepting this offer or taking them to small claims court? Would I be likely to pay more costs on court? Do I have a chance of losing? If I win, is the tenant likely to pay even more than the full cost of replacement?

Thanks

Think I would take the money. You would have to determine the depreciation value of the carpet anyway.

Nitnat
17-05-2007, 09:09 AM
Thanks.

As a rule...are landlords entitled to ask for more than the depreciated value of the carpets?

lorenzo
17-05-2007, 11:37 AM
Thanks.

As a rule...are landlords entitled to ask for more than the depreciated value of the carpets?
No .........................