PDA

View Full Version : landlord witholding £500

apope
14-05-2007, 18:08 PM
My sister has recently moved into a house she has bought with her husband. She gave the landlord at her previous address appropriate notice, but did not pay her last months rent. The landlord was then left with a surplus from the bond /deposit of £500. The LL has not returned the money because he says that the windows need cleaning and that my sisters cleaner left white streaks on the oven. He said that they must use his window cleaner and get the number from him. For the last 3 weeks they have tried to call him and he is avoiding them. He is not answering or returning calls.
There is a history between them in that they had to send him 2 solictors letters to get an inventory done ( it was never done) and that when they moved in they had to make the place safe because he had left work un finished.( he had left plug sockets hanging off walls and had not finished diy jobs he was supposed to have done) They still have the keys to the property and and do have a contact address. Apparently the LL manages it for his mother. I have advised her that she should take him to the small claims court.
Can anyone offer a suggestion?

P.Pilcher
14-05-2007, 18:15 PM
Sure can! Write to him giving him 7 days to return your money and state that should this not be received, you will be taking the matter to the small claims court. Without a signed inventory, he will get nowhere. You can do it on line!

P.P.

Paragon
14-05-2007, 18:30 PM
Another DIY landlord - how NOT to run a business. No check in inventory - how amaturish.

Esio Trot
15-05-2007, 08:24 AM
... There is a history between them in that they had to send him 2 solictors letters to get an inventory done ( it was never done) ...

They should not have bothered with this.

No Inventory = Tenants Delight/Landlords Loss.

No Inventory = No deductions for damage/cleanliness or any thing else apart from rent.

lorenzo
15-05-2007, 15:17 PM
On another line of thought, I think I've found a superior vocation. Snagging is only #400 a crack, window cleaning, apparently, is #500 a crack.

I've just paced my bulk order for windex and heavy duty squeegies.:rolleyes:

PS How do you make your computer do the pound sterling character?

jeffrey
15-05-2007, 15:29 PM
1. Use a UK keyboard.
2. Some keyboards also have "alternative alphabet" settings, hidden on normal keys but accessed by CTRL and ALT and SHIFT in various combinations- eg Greek/Russian/Hebrew lettering, French/Spanish/Scandinavian/etc. accents, scientific symbols, etc. See if your user manual explains this facility.

DianeB
15-05-2007, 16:57 PM
1. Use a UK keyboard.

Haven't had a quote of the day from you for a while Jeffrey - still, they are worth the wait!

jeffrey
16-05-2007, 09:10 AM
Haven't had a quote of the day from you for a while Jeffrey - still, they are worth the wait!

Quote of the day: £250 + VAT and disbursements.

lorenzo
16-05-2007, 10:09 AM
Quote of the day: £250 + VAT and disbursements.
You should get into window cleaning. ;)

P.Pilcher
16-05-2007, 10:18 AM
No - I suspect he is happier at his office desk raking in all those fees........ and then paying out for his office rent, secretary's wages, receptionists wages, indemnity insurance, e.t.c, e.t.c, e.t.c, and wondering if there will be anything left for his own pocket this week!

P.P.

jeffrey
16-05-2007, 10:26 AM
You should get into window cleaning. ;)

No- it's a bit of a pane, and I'd need to take steps to achieve higher rungs on the career ladder.

pippay
20-05-2007, 18:37 PM
PS How do you make your computer do the pound sterling character?

sometimes my keys go "alternative " so try the # key and see if it brings up the £ sign