PDA

View Full Version : Lodger not paying rent

Nellie
13-05-2007, 13:41 PM
I just wondeed if anyone knows where I stand as a Landlord on this one. I live in the same house as my lodger and I gave him 2 months' notice followed by him giving me 1 months notice. He hasn't paid me rent for his final month despite me asking her for it. I think he believes the deposit is effectively the final month's rent, although I've told him the deposit is quite separate (and he owes me outstanding bills).

Where do I stand with my rights if he doesn't pay this months rent and he is still living in my house? I feel very vulnerable (I forgot to say we've had an argument and are not on speaking terms-we just communicate by letter!).

:confused: Nellie

Editor
13-05-2007, 16:40 PM
Your lodger has no tenancy rights and has outstayed his welcome - he is effectively a trespasser in your home.
He's in a similar position to an hotel guest who has been asked to leave - the management would throw him out.
This may be a bit drastic, especially if he's aggressive.
You could try asking for police assitance, though they may not oblige as it's really a civil matter, but voilence is not.
You could risk a lock-out, though you are obliged to take care of his possessions, though legally your on dicy ground here.
Perhaps safer to obtain a court possession order as a last resort, and sue for your lost rent, court and bailiff costs etc when he has left.
Of course you may then need to use a tracing agent to find him, but if he's earning money and you go about it right as small claims action should recover all your costs as well.

Uncle Fester
13-05-2007, 16:44 PM
Where do I stand with my rights if he doesn't pay this months rent and he is still living in my house?

You can change the locks if you want, as he's only a lodger.

we just communicate by letter

In your own House :eek:

Nellie
13-05-2007, 17:02 PM
Thank you for your advice. There are a few things I'm unsure about though: you mentioned "dodgy ground" with regard to changing the locks and his possessions-why is legally dodgy ground? Is it in case he sues me for damaging them?

Also how do I obtain a court possession order? Does it take a while? Maybe I should just wait and see if he goes at the end of his notice.

Finally if I originally gave 2 months notice, does this mean he is eligable to pay 2 months rent even though he gave me 1 month? Of course my preference would be to get rid of him as soon as possible as he's quite creepy and is now deliberately making my life a misery.

Uncle Fester
13-05-2007, 17:34 PM
Nellie, would it not be easier just wait till his time is up?

Nellie
13-05-2007, 17:41 PM
Probably-I guess I'll just have to put up with him. The changing locks thing is worrying me-supposing he forces entry or does something to my car?:eek:

Uncle Fester
13-05-2007, 17:47 PM
^
Is it really that Bad! :(

How long has he been in your house for? Have you got a work address, family address if he wrecks the place and does a runner?

Nellie
13-05-2007, 17:53 PM
Yeah-I know all his details. Funnily enough I was warned he was a bit strange before he moved in-if only I'd listened!! It's taken me 2 years to work out just how strange he is! Thanks for the advice. Do you reckon I can still chase him for unpaid rent once he leaves?
Nellie