PDA

View Full Version : Who owns the floor

Melanie
13-05-2007, 11:50 AM
We bought a house and did it up for a tenant that was in another house we owned. This was over 2 years ago, we were carpeting the property but she wanted laminate flooring in two rooms downstairs, so she offererd to pay for it herself. We now need to sell the house and she is asking us to buy the flooring or she will rip it up, where do we stand on this.

Paragon
13-05-2007, 13:02 PM
Interesting question:

It could be that it is now considered part of the fabric of the building and removal would be willful damage.

If not, then she would certainly be responsible for any damage to the under structure and would have to make good.

jeffrey
13-05-2007, 13:13 PM
1. Is flooring a "chattel" (removable) or a "fixture" (forming part of property, once installed)?
2. Was it meant as a permanent improvement?
3. T is entitled to remove "Tenant's Fixtures" because the law treats them as chattels. If flooring is in this category, T has to make good any damage caused by removal.

Tweedle Dum
13-05-2007, 18:38 PM
Seeing as you saved money on the carpet do you really want to deny her recompense?

Ericthelobster
13-05-2007, 18:49 PM
Providing she leaves the room and underlying floor in a satisfactory condition to accept carpet being laid on it (ie, as it would have been at the point where you were about to lay new carpet anyway) I don't see why she shouldn't take up the laminate (subject to any agreement you may have made).

Presumably it will just be sour grapes though as I don't suppose it will be usable again

paul_c
14-05-2007, 12:42 PM
I'd tell her to take it - and I'd go round to watch her try and lift it all, just for the fun of it!!